lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
wingmanchris
Not Yet Wild

Default CT Rebuild 375 (295) Robin Engine Won’t Run

Just installed a 375 CT Rebuild engine in 99 Workhorse. Old 295 ran but smoked and had low compression.

Installed the motor making sure everything was exactly as it was when the old one came out. All wires connected, all linkages connected. The only thing I changed was the spark plug wires because while disassembling the old motor, one of the boots came off the plug end. I had a few extra Summit wires from a SBC and cut two short and used them. Not sure if that would have an issue. I’m running it with the air box/filter and breather tube off. Everything else is installed.

The engine starts when choked and will stumble and sputter, but never revs up. Choking it extra while running doesn’t help, it’s getting plenty of fuel. NGK plugs are wet. Checked spark, seems good white spark. Plugs gapped correctly .030 Compression is 140-145psi in both cylinders, double checked the valve lash, .004. If I hold the pedal down, it just stumbles, never revs up. The carb worked fine with the old 295 just three days ago. I cleaned it out anyway and no improvement. Gas seems to mist back out the carb and sometimes it gives a slight backfire when letting off the throttle.

Could the timing be off in this thing? Is there a way to check it without pulling the motor again?
wingmanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: CT Rebuild 375 (295) Robin Engine Won’t Run

Its possible you could have got the valve timing a notch or two off. Your compression seems a little low also. I would want to see 150 to 160 right after engine is rebuilt.
Did you line up the bottom gear with key-way straight up and camshaft middle mark lined up with notch ?
Checking it is sort of hard while still in cart but it can be done if you have room to remove the drive clutch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo valve timing.jpg (130.7 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:25 AM   #3
wingmanchris
Not Yet Wild

The engine was rebuilt by CT Rebuilds in Appling, GA. I did not check the timing before installing the rebuilt engine as it was supposed to be ready to go. I can’t think of this issue being anything other than timing, so I’ll pull the engine tonight and check it. I was just hoping it would be something simple I overlooked so I didn’t have to pull the engine again.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmanchris View Post
The engine was rebuilt by CT Rebuilds in Appling, GA. I did not check the timing before installing the rebuilt engine as it was supposed to be ready to go. I can’t think of this issue being anything other than timing, so I’ll pull the engine tonight and check it. I was just hoping it would be something simple I overlooked so I didn’t have to pull the engine again.
If you have a warranty you might want to call the builder and make sure you won't void any warranty by working on the engine. They may have a suggestion for you on where to look as well.

Two things that stand out to me:
1. spark plug wire was changed....are you getting good spark?
2. airbox and filter are removed....are you too lean?

Not saying those two things are the problem, just that they are different than the last time it ran. Something to look at.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:20 AM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I struggled with this same issue for months...put brand new plugs in, and all was well. I had used plugs in that worked in another cart, but didnt work in the one I was working on. 140s seems low on compression. Disconnect your carb linkage and redo your compression test while manually holding the throttle on the carb open all the way. Could be a gasket leak at the carb or spacer. Also, These engines run better with Air box and filter installed.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmanchris View Post
I didn't realize it was done by this company. It was late and I was assuming you did this so the timing is probably correct.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:24 AM   #7
wlhedges
Not Yet Wild

The 295 rebuilt engine I received from CT Rebuilds locked up after 1 week, UPS lost the returned engine, Now with no core CT doesn't want to talk to me.
wlhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
wingmanchris
Not Yet Wild

Ok I called CT Rebuilds today and they said the engine was bench tested and ran before they shipped it out. They said timing is fine, not a motor issue.

I checked the coil resistance per the manual and it checked out good. Including resistance through plug wires. To my coil, the red wire is the negative and the yellow is the positive. Red to ground when cranking the engine over I get no voltage reading. Yellow to ground when cranking I get 10.8 vac and dropping off I continue to crank it. Battery is fully charged at 12.49vdc and drops to 11.98vdc when cranking engine. The engine is not spinning over fast enough to start the generator charging because it’s barely running. I tried adding a jump pack to the battery to ensure that wasn’t the issue, still no change.
I am now disassembling all connections on solenoid and frame to clean them up and make sure there is good grounds etc.
Engine still starts and barely runs, stumbles no matter where the pedal is pressed to and never revs up. Barely running. Spark does seem weak and coil voltage seems to point that way.
Not sure what went bad sitting in the garage for three days waiting on the rebuilt motor, frustrating to say the least.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:34 PM   #9
wingmanchris
Not Yet Wild

Cleaned up every connection on the solenoid, all grounds, Re-made battery connections. Still same issue. Hooked up jump pack to battery and checked voltage to coil, I get exact same reading as the battery with no load(turning engine over with coil wire disconnected.). When I connect coil wire, turn engine over and it runs at a stumble, I get 11.87vdc with jump pack connected still. Still stumbles, doesn’t run.

I’m now past spark, from what I’ve read in old posts here, these all have weak looking spark.

I have seen a ton of old posts on here with people having similar issues and trying everything but never finding a solution. I found a series of YouTube videos where a guy has a similar issue and never finds a solution.

Driving me nuts that this thing was running a few days ago just low compression and now with the new motor I’m chasing this.

I ordered a coil, carb, voltage regulator, and solenoid to try since I’m at a loss.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #10
wingmanchris
Not Yet Wild

I also tried two different sets of plugs, no change. Same stumbling idle, won’t rev up, gas back out the carb mouth. CT Rebuilds said it was run with the NGK plugs it came with before shipping it out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO