lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2023, 12:04 PM   #1
Wayfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1/2 speed Precedent

I have a 2012 Precedent that is completely stock. It has good batteries and I just use it to drive around the neighborhood. Today it was running fine when I left home and I stopped briefly to talk with a neighbor and from that point on it would only run at about 1/2 speed. Normally I get 15 to 16 mph out of it but now it tops out at 8 mph. I tried turning it off and on, charging it a bit, and trying again with the same results. It has good torque on take-off and acceleration but when it hits 8mph it just stops accelerating.

Any idea what I should check first?

Thanks,
Dennis
Wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1/2 speed Precedent

Speed sensor / magnet is the likely culprit. Cart on, in gear try to roll it by hand or downhill without stepping on the accelerator. The regenerative brakes should try to slow & stop the cart & the controller should beep a warning.

Last edited by meimk; 03-26-2023 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:41 PM   #3
FL3TCH L1V3S
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Speed sensor / magnet is the likely culprit. Cart on, in gear try to roll it by hand or downhill without stepping on the accelerator. The regenerative brakes should try to slow & stop the cart & the controller should beep a warning.
Yep. This happened to me and the magnet was broken when I went to replace it.
FL3TCH L1V3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:58 PM   #4
JckDanls 07
Not Yet Wild

I just had a buddy ask me yesterday the same question... Only he has a 96 DS 36 V ... Would it be the same thing on his ?
JckDanls 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:41 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JckDanls 07 View Post
I just had a buddy ask me yesterday the same question... Only he has a 96 DS 36 V ... Would it be the same thing on his ?
No

1996 36v resistor system and a 2012 precedent are completely different carts and drive systems. You’re best off starting a new thread as to not clog up this one.

And I agree either magnet or speed sensor has failed.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 11:30 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfun View Post
I have a 2012 Precedent that is completely stock. It has good batteries and I just use it to drive around the neighborhood. Today it was running fine when I left home and I stopped briefly to talk with a neighbor and from that point on it would only run at about 1/2 speed. Normally I get 15 to 16 mph out of it but now it tops out at 8 mph. I tried turning it off and on, charging it a bit, and trying again with the same results. It has good torque on take-off and acceleration but when it hits 8mph it just stops accelerating.

Any idea what I should check first?

Thanks,
Dennis
Read what TahoeDawgZ71 posted here many years ago on your problem. Spot on for Dawg :)
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=68248
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:00 AM   #7
Wayfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for all of the replies. I've ordered a new magnet and speed sensor that should arrive today. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Dennis
Old 03-27-2023, 02:47 PM   #8
JckDanls 07
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
No

1996 36v resistor system and a 2012 precedent are completely different carts and drive systems. You’re best off starting a new thread as to not clog up this one.

And I agree either magnet or speed sensor has failed.
WTF... That wasn't my intention to clog this one up... Didn't know they are two different systems... That's why I asked...
JckDanls 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:41 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JckDanls 07 View Post
WTF... That wasn't my intention to clog this one up... Didn't know they are two different systems... That's why I asked...
All is good JckDanls. Hope the post from TahoeDawgZ71 helped.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:44 AM   #10
Wayfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I installed the new speed sensor and magnet. It sort of worked. Before I thought i was getting 15 to 16 mph. Maybe it was 14. With the new parts, it took me from 8 back up to 11. I can live with 11 but 14 would have been better.

Dennis
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car