lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
MarchHare
Not Yet Wild

Default newb question on engine of TXT 2+2

if you've got any advice here, it might help solve a sticky situation.

some buddies brought their ezgo shuttle 2+2 txt to my friend's beach wedding reception. obviously, drunk shenanigans ensued.

last night someone pulled the wires off the key switch to hot wire the cart and took it for a joy ride down the beach. when it was found, we couldn't get it to start. got gas, got battery juice, doesn't turn over.

it sounds to me like the engine is either not getting air or not getting gas. it looks like there's water on the case around the air intake, so the joy riders might have taken the cart through water.

now my friend thinks he'll have to pay for the cart since it's his wedding.

i'm thinking it's probably a simple fix to an otherwise totally sturdy engine. so-- my questions:

1) Any advice on what could be the issue?
2) If water got into the air intake, do you think it would damage the engine?

thanks forum!
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: newb question on engine of TXT 2+2

If it sucked some water, pull the plugs and turn the motor over for a bit to blow any h20 out of there, also clean, dry and reinstall the plugs - also, pull the carb float bowl and empty it completely and dry it out, reinstall it and hopefully she'll get going again. Might be worth pulling the air cleaner and making sure it's dry and that the filter isn't saturated (which will stop quite a bit of air flow) also ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Before you get to far into pulling things off, elaborate on what you mean by won't turn over. Too many times it gets confused with not starting up. When you mash the pedal does anything happen? Is anything moving at all? When you mash the pedal the engine starter should turn the engine til' combustion takes over. Just thinkin' if they went to pullin wires they may have damaged the microswitch...
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
MarchHare
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys.

what's a microswitch? and is it expensive to replace???

i by "won't turn over" i mean that the starter spins the engine, but there's no combustion happening. it sounds like it's lacking gas, or air, or spark.

but the battery is powered enough to spin the starter, lights, horn, etc.

there's gas in the tank.

i can't tell if the air filter needs replacement, and i'm a little afraid to try to start it without the filter in place. i might begin by replacing the air filter when i can get to a parts store tomorrow.

i really appreciate your help!! keep the advice coming!!
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

o.k. Now that we got that out of the way... Theres no way to know whats goin on since you werent there when it quit but i'm willin to bet it's seen some beer and beaches.. Pull the breather filter and spray it with some carb. cleaner or brake cleaner ( this is what i use ) and see if it tries to fire up. There are alot of possibilities here and since you are a newb it may get confusing but there are many great minds here to help.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

If the engine ingested water while running, there could be any number of things damaged internally.. Cold water inside of a hot engine can warp valves, crack cylinder heads, and if enough water was swallowed, even bent or broken connecting rods.. If seawater was ingested, this is really bad juju!! When seawater is passed thru a running engine it is EXTREMELY corrosive to the machined internal surfaces..

Start by pulling the air filter and spark plugs, spin the engine with the starter and confirm that there is compression.. Air should blow FORCEFULLY from the plug holes when the engine is spun with the starter.. Install a new set of plugs and try to start the engine.. Feel at the exhaust to see if the engine is pumping plenty of air.. Also, with the air filter removed, feel for air blowing back thru the carburetor while cranking..

If there is a weak exhaust flow, or heavy backflow thru the carb, there may be serious internal engine damage..

Also check the condition of the oil, if it's white and frothy, that's water contamination..
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Told ya!!! The help is here, and these guys are great... If you are not mechanically inclined it might seem a little overwhelming with some of the troubleshooting, but just ask if you don't know and explain any symptoms in detail so we can lead you foward.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO