lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
pensfan87
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default g2 hesitates to start

starter motor turns over ok, just takes about 5 seconds until gas motor starts,checked air box it is tight ,good spark,new fuel filter runs fine after the delay,any thoughts?
pensfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: g2 hesitates to start

Welcome to BGW!

Are you using the choke?

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
pensfan87
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

sometimes when the motor isnt hot ill choke it,but it generally takes of before you need to choke it,
Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Don't know what you've tried in the past, have you looked at the throttle cables for correct adjustments and clean the carb/main jet?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I tune the idle in and have much better luck with faster starts. (With engine warm,) Put it in neutral and touch the pedal enough to make it start, turn the idle way down (or up then down) until it just runs a little faster than the starter spins it. Then adjust the idle mix lean as it will idle smooth (start at 1.5 turn out). When you get it all idling good and barely faster than the starter, then turn the idle mix out up to maybe 1/4 turn more. Make sure it idles good yet, idle it for a minute or so. If it misses turn mix in just a little and try again. Then it should start faster, but you still need to choke it for cold starts. They often also start faster if you vary the throttle from 0-25% while it is cranking, seem to start best with choke at 50% throttle....or mine does anyway. It will start fast when warm if the idle is set right.

Note also you need to have clean/lubed clutch that falls open at rest and should stay open at idle so it does not drag the belt and make cart want to move.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
pensfan87
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

thanks for all the advice, very helpful,found a broken clutch weight. this seems to be a problem i have a lot. the last time i replaced all three weights about 4 months ago when i rebuilt the motor, i bought them at the yamaha dealer but he told me they were after market weights. I do haul alot of weight, firewood, dirt, whatever fits in the bed or trailer, and the kids abuse the cart pretty bad, but this seems like premature failure. is there anything out there that holds up better or should i make sure the next weights are factory? thanks again
Old 11-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I never heard of that, sure something is not out of balance or worn? I put chain lube on the pins, synthetic stuff, still the original '91 clutch far as I know. About once a year or two if I don't trail ride much, I pull it apart and clean and lube it, otherwise I put a squirt of grease in it maybe every month or two of use.

You should think about getting a cut secondary sheave, I put one in a guys cart was 75 I think. It gave a lower first gear. It takes off faster as it revs quicker off the line. Or you can have it cut too. That one has the stock spring in it, sure helps pulling something heavy from a stop. But then we stuck a 16hp in it now it really has some power.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
pensfan87
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

i did put the heavy spring in it a few years ago but never machined the sheave,has lots of power,but i have broken the engine bracket tension cable a couple of times..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha