lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
I_Love_Golf
Not Yet Wild

Default Donor Cart For AC Conversion LSV

Hello all new to the forum. Not sure this is the right sub-forum, if not pease feel free to move post.

I live in an area near a golf course where we can drive our carts on the streets. Lots of golf carts here. I live about 2 miles from the clubhouse and street speed limits are 30 mph. I am wanting to buy a donor golf cart for an AC Conversion.

I am not partial to any manufacture, but leaning toward either EZ-GO or Club Car because they seem to be the best bets for electric conversions.

What I have in mind is a cart that can safely travel 30 mph without having to use a lift kit and be somewhat stealthy. By that I mean looks like a stock cart other than paint job and nice wheels. My main concern is suspension and braking. Cart use will be paved streets and golf course. No severe hills or steep grades.

I plan on using an AC motor and controller with lithium batteries at 48 to 60 volts. From my understanding to get 30 mph will require either a lift kit with larger tires which I do not want to do. Or change out differential gear ration. So I kind of know the basics.

What I need help with is selecting a Donor Cart that I do not have to do a lot work on brakes and suspension and I do not know which of the manufactures have the better suspensions and braking systems for the faster speeds.

So what do you guys say?
I_Love_Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
benjylafond
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Donor Cart For AC Conversion LSV

You won't need a lift kit to get to 30. I have a 2001 TXT with 12 inch wheels, 6.1 rear end, and D&D high speed motor. 36 volt cart. It will get to 30 easy, fastest I've had it on GPS was 34. I have a lift kit now (the long travel kit) because the cart rides better on it, but I didn't have to have it.
benjylafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would start with a 2007+ Yamaha Drive (G29) as the donor cart. You can't beat the factory coilover suspension compared to leaf springs on ezgo and club cars. The Yamaha also has a wet, internal disc brake. It's way better then drums. There are several other nicer features on the Yamaha also (like rain gutters and a rattle free ride) but those are the major ones.

My 53v lithium yamaha drive is here:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
I_Love_Golf
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I would start with a 2007+ Yamaha Drive (G29) as the donor cart. You can't beat the factory coilover suspension compared to leaf springs on ezgo and club cars. The Yamaha also has a wet, internal disc brake. It's way better then drums. There are several other nicer features on the Yamaha also (like rain gutters and a rattle free ride) but those are the major ones.
THX I will have to look into that. I never considered Yamaha because I was under the impression they are more noted for gas carts. The hydraulic brakes you speak of are they on all 4 wheels or just rear or front.

I assume I can go to the Yamaha web site and see all the features of G29? I assume G29 is still the latest release?

EDIT:

Just looked at Yamaha Web Site for the G29 Electric and Gas. I must be missing something because they list brakes as on all models Rear Drum. Did they quit offering Wet Disc and if so what model year? Confused ...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
I_Love_Golf
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
My 53v lithium yamaha drive is here:
I take it that is not factory? AC or DC?

Never mind I see it is AC at least on 2015 models. Sounds like you swapped out batteries?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_Golf View Post
THX I will have to look into that. I never considered Yamaha because I was under the impression they are more noted for gas carts. The hydraulic brakes you speak of are they on all 4 wheels or just rear or front.

I assume I can go to the Yamaha web site and see all the features of G29? I assume G29 is still the latest release?

EDIT:

Just looked at Yamaha Web Site for the G29 Electric and Gas. I must be missing something because they list brakes as on all models Rear Drum. Did they quit offering Wet Disc and if so what model year? Confused ...
Not hydraulic brakes. The "wet brakes" are disc brakes that live inside the axle with the gear oil, hence the term "wet". They are only on the rear, and do work well. They perform very consistantly from "new" to "worn out", with only a cable adjustment or two along the way. Yamaha called them "lifetime brakes", but like everything else, they do wear out eventually (i have only changed a few sets, mostly on stretch work vehicles). Yamaha is no longer using that setup, nor the "Team" axle they came in. They went back to drum brakes, and the "dana/schaffer" axle used from the mid-G14 model until 2007 YDRx "Drive" came out.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

I say Club Car because of the aluminum frames. They are lighter and do not rust like EZGOs or Yamahas

----------------

But based on my name, I tend to be a little biased
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
I_Love_Golf
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Not hydraulic brakes. The "wet brakes" are disc brakes that live inside the axle with the gear oil, hence the term "wet". They are only on the rear, and do work well. They perform very consistantly from "new" to "worn out", with only a cable adjustment or two along the way. Yamaha called them "lifetime brakes", but like everything else, they do wear out eventually (i have only changed a few sets, mostly on stretch work vehicles). Yamaha is no longer using that setup, nor the "Team" axle they came in. They went back to drum brakes, and the "dana/schaffer" axle used from the mid-G14 model until 2007 YDRx "Drive" came out.
Gosh I missed that when I read it the first time. Just wishful thinking they were traditional hydraulic disc brakes. You did point something out that could be a problem. HPEV motors does make drop in replacements for most of the cart axles but I do not recall seeing TEAM axle being one of them. Dana is no problem so I might not be able to work with a TEAM axle.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Gosh I missed that when I read it the first time. Just wishful thinking they were traditional hydraulic disc brakes. You did point something out that could be a problem. HPEV motors does make drop in replacements for most of the cart axles but I do not recall seeing TEAM axle being one of them. Dana is no problem so I might not be able to work with a TEAM axle.

The brakes work independently of the motor, and i have installed non-stock motors on the Team axle without problem (the bolt holes line up & input shaft works fine). I see no reason a HPEV setup wouldnt work, pretty sure they do offer one.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #10
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I take it that is not factory? AC or DC?

Never mind I see it is AC at least on 2015 models. Sounds like you swapped out batteries?
Mine is a 2010 model year and is definitely DC. Yes I swapped the FLA batteries for Lithium.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO