lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
pastor@southwestbaptist.o
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default First cart build...starting from scratch. Advise needed

Hello everyone.

I am new to the cart building world. I have just aquired an Cushman Commander 2100. I know it is made by EZGO and I think it is the same as a workhorse but not sure

It does have a FWD/REV switch on the dash

Anyway...it is missing just about everything. No batteries, no controller, no motor, no solenoid. Just a rolling chassis and body and some wiring.

I want to build a very strong yard cart. I do not want it to go fast (I have children that drive it) but I want it very strong.

I have a lead on a D&D motor that is a Series motor. It is used but it is the limo model set up for torque. It is number 170-004-0001

I am curious as to thoughts on how difficult it will be to use this motor. Can I keep the dash switch if I get something like an Alltrax 500 amp controller?

I was told that this is a regen cart since it has a tow switch but I believe that will all be immaterial if I convert to series by using this used motor...or maybe I should keep it regen???

What are your thoughts? Thank you everyone.

Greg in Ohio
pastor@southwestbaptist.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: First cart build...starting from scratch. Advise needed

Greg.....considering that what you have is only a rolling chassis....you and do what you want. and a series cart would be better suited for the way you intend to use it. And you will be totally building a new drive system, which you don't have at all now.....so starting from scratch shoulded be that big of a deal.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK here is what I am thinking now.

Alltrax AXE 4855 Controller

D&D Series Motor number 170-004-0001

Can I use the current FWD REV dash switch and ITS throttle with this setup?
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am also debating 36v or 48v.

Since I don't need speed and (correct me if I am wrong) more voltage equals more speed, then maybe 36v is the best route.

If I set it up for 48v and then use the controller software to slow the cart down, it may just limit the through voltage anyway....right?

Thanks again
Greg
Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No reason that you couldn't build a reversing contactor to use the switch, but it would probably be easier and cheaper to get a used FNR switch.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:00 AM   #6
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would never install a used, mechanical f&r switch in a cart with upgraded everything. If you're set on a series cart (sepex or regen has torque also) then I would certainly convert to a reversing contactor.

ScottyB can hook you up with reversing contactor that allows you to keep the fwd/rev switch on the dash and will not burn out like a f&r will. He also sells controller packages with solenoid and 4awg cables that you will need. I would certainly upgrade to 48v while you do all this.

D&D currently has their production motors on sale $50 off.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I would never install a used, mechanical f&r switch in a cart with upgraded everything. If you're set on a series cart (sepex or regen has torque also) then I would certainly convert to a reversing contactor.
I would agree with this 100%. I had previously fried two mechanical F\R switches prior to installing one of ScottyB's reversing contractors. The reversing contractors replace the weakest link in the system. Buy one...install it...it's money well spent and you will not regret it. Besides, with kids using it, the switch going from forward to reverse is much easier than any mechanical linkage.

Oh....I agree with sportcoupe's other recommendations too. I just wanted to "really" endorse this one.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #8
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Regarding the 48v thing...wouldn't that be counter productive since I really don't want speed? I would hate to spend the extra money for 48v just to have the controller lower the voltage to slow the cart down anyway. 12mph is plenty for me.

Also can someone point me to where I can purchase one of those contactors?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ScottyB for reversing contactor, contoller, solenoid and cables.

48v isn't just for speed. It's just as much for torque which you wanted a lot of. If you call D&D and order a engineering motor they can build it to your mph needs. A 48v cart that does 12 mph will have tons of power.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW: For any motor type (Torque, Speed or mid-range), differential gear ratio and pack voltage determine cart speed.

A 170-004-0001 D&D series motor is a high torque, low speed, motor.

If the differential gear ratio is 12.44:1 and the tire height is 18", you'll get about 12MPH at 36V, 14MPH at 42V and 16MPH at 48V.

If the differential gear ratio is 14.78:1 and the tire height is 18", you'll get about 10.1MPH at 36V, 11.8MPH at 42V and 13.5MPH at 48V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO