lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #1
shrpshtr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default another battery question...

Hey All,

I have a theoretical question about batteries...AGAIN. :) I am about to replace my pack and want to make fully understand battery consumption to be sure I size it correctly.

If a battery has a 225ah rating that means it can deliver 450amps for .5 hour,225amps for 1 hour, 112.5amps for 2 hours, 75amps for 3 hours, 56amps for 4 hours, and so on. Given this, if I have a 500amp controller and I put my foot to the floor (WOT - wide open throttle) should I only expect to get 27 minutes of run time? (all other factors being the same) If that's the case and my cart will only run 18mph, would it then be safe to assume my max range out WOT on a 225ah pack would only be approximately 8.2 miles?

Do I have this whole theory completely screwed up?
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: another battery question...

well your math is a bit off.....as a standard Trojan (T-105) is rated as 225amp/20hr

6Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

The tin hat crowd will be along in a minute, but even if your theory and numbers are right you missed the part about never drawing batteries down below 50%.
tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
Hey All,

I have a theoretical question about batteries...AGAIN. :) I am about to replace my pack and want to make fully understand battery consumption to be sure I size it correctly.

If a battery has a 225ah rating that means it can deliver 450amps for .5 hour,225amps for 1 hour, 112.5amps for 2 hours, 75amps for 3 hours, 56amps for 4 hours, and so on. Given this, if I have a 500amp controller and I put my foot to the floor (WOT - wide open throttle) should I only expect to get 27 minutes of run time? (all other factors being the same) If that's the case and my cart will only run 18mph, would it then be safe to assume my max range out WOT on a 225ah pack would only be approximately 8.2 miles?

Do I have this whole theory completely screwed up?
You're sorta on the right track, but you have a few things a bit caddywhompus.

A T-105 is rated for 225AH at the 20hr rate, which is an 11.25A discharge rate.
The AH capacity at the 5hr rate, which is a 45A discharge rate, is only 185AH.
Trojan doesn't list the AH for a 2hr rate, but using the IEEE standard Peukert Correcting Factor, it is about 112.5AH.

You may have a controller that will allow your motor to draw 500A range, but the only time your motor is electrically capable of drawing 500A is when it is spinning at low RPM. It depends on the motor, but not likely to be much over 500RPM with 36V applied, if that high. So the only time your motor might draw 500A is during the first few yards of max effort acceleration and when bogged down to walking speeds going up hills.

When cruising at top speed, cart typically draws in the 50A-60A, so including some start and stop driving and some steep hills, the trip average may be in the 75A neighborhood.

A T-105 will produce 75A for about 115 minutes, but you don't want to discharge below 50% SoC (State of Charge), so you get about an hour of run time. Therefore, if you cart's sustainable top speed is 18 MPH, you ought to have a range of about 18 Miles.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
shrpshtr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Awesome! You guys are always so helpful and timely. JohnnieB, you're just impressive! Ok, what impact on range would putting the HD F&R, SPM-48500 (pkg from ScottyB), 2ga cables. Thanks!

shrp
Old 01-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
Awesome! You guys are always so helpful and timely. JohnnieB, you're just impressive! Ok, what impact on range would putting the HD F&R, SPM-48500 (pkg from ScottyB), 2ga cables. Thanks!

shrp
It depends on how decrepit the existing cables and F/R are, but with Scotty's HD F/R assembly and a complete set of his 2 Ga cables, the performance may improve as well as the range.

In and of itself, the controller is more or less range neutral, but it will improve performance and it is human nature to flaunt if you got it, so the range will most likely drop some until the newness wears off.

Low pressure tires and too tall of tires will reduce range, so stay 22" or less and tire whose max inflation pressure is over 20 PSI.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
shrpshtr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

makes sense! thanks again.

shrp
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO