lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Plum quick said I can't go 48v

So I have a DCS with an altrax dcx400 controller. My batteries are junk so I figured If Im buying batteries may as well go 48v. My plan was to buy some 8v batteries, a charger, and a plum quick Bandit. They said that since my cart isn't a series cart then my motor wouldn't hold the voltage. I know these guys are great at what they do and I trust them but part of me just can't believe it. Any input on this guys? I need this cart moving and I'm ready to buy stuff.
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Plum quick said I can't go 48v

Interesting, I guess I've never seen a sepex motor run on higher voltage, probably because all sepex CCs are 48v. I'm sure PQ is right, they seem to know their stuff...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
jericho
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

wait....what!A36v dcs stock motor won't run on 48v?
jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Over time the stock motor may not last on 48v depending upon your driving habits.... age of motor, weight tire size, terrain, etc. They will do much better on 42v - this seems to be the happy medium for the stock motor.... although I have seen stock motors last 2 years. Call or email me - I'll get ya going 48v with a custom motor
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Next time you call Plum Quick, ask to speak to someone that has read their own "Bandit" web-page: http://www.plumquick.com/motors-and-...es/the-bandit/

There may have been some lost in the translation, but what you report them saying is next to unbelievable.

A SepEx motor will run at any voltage a Series motor will.

Also, if you wish to use regenerative braking, something other than a Bandit or its brethren is needed.

---------
Talk to Scotty, he will give you the straight stuff.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 04-14-2015 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

See I was even gonna buy a motor from them. I figured a stock one wouldn't like 48v but I assume they could build me a motor that would. They told me that the only way I could do 48v is by swapping my cart completely over to a series cart. I mean even the dcx400 will do 48v
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #7
PLUMQUICK
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdawg(Mikey) View Post
So I have a DCS with an altrax dcx400 controller. My batteries are junk so I figured If Im buying batteries may as well go 48v. My plan was to buy some 8v batteries, a charger, and a plum quick Bandit. They said that since my cart isn't a series cart then my motor wouldn't hold the voltage. I know these guys are great at what they do and I trust them but part of me just can't believe it. Any input on this guys? I need this cart moving and I'm ready to buy stuff.
Sorry Mikey, you were indeed given the wrong information regarding your DCS cart. The DCS motor is the same as a PDS, just without a magnet and speed sensor (you can run a PDS motor on a DCS cart or a DCS motor on a PDS cart with a aftermaket controller). Yes, you can upgrade your cart to 48 volts and you can even run your stock motor. The main issue is to not run your cart on a low charge or keep the pedal depressed with the cart in a stall.......both of which will cause a higher amp draw which in turn can and will damage the motor. All you need is the 48 volt pack, controller to handle the 48 volts (which you have), 48 volt solenoid and a 48 volt charger. You'll be good to go...... again, sorry for the communication gap. I'll find who had the brain fart in the morning.......
PLUMQUICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
PLUMQUICK
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Over time the stock motor may not last on 48v depending upon your driving habits.... age of motor, weight tire size, terrain, etc. They will do much better on 42v - this seems to be the happy medium for the stock motor.... although I have seen stock motors last 2 years. Call or email me - I'll get ya going 48v with a custom motor
Good points........
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Well, that just about sums that up!
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #10
PLUMQUICK
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Next time you call Plum Quick, ask to speak to someone that has read their own "Bandit" web-page: http://www.plumquick.com/motors-and-...es/the-bandit/

There may have been some lost in the translation, but what you report them saying is next to unbelievable.

A SepEx motor will run at any voltage a Series motor will.

Also, if you wish to use regenerative braking, something other than a Bandit or its brethren is needed.

---------
Talk to Scotty, he will give you the straight stuff.
I agree with said statement..........but, any voltage a series motor will handle.......... I strongly disagree!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO