lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #11
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: I screwed something up

Ok sorry. Clearly don't know what is needed here for this job. Just trying to throw my two cents. Carry on
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #12
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I talked to a couple of motor shops today. One was in AZ and they said they have a tool that does the job. It uses a micro grinding wheel to cut the slots. They would do the job for $50 but shipping would be brutal.

The second shop I talked to was a local shop and said they'd do it for $100 because I was a PIA to set up the tool. Apparently it mounts on the tool post of a lathe and cuts the slot. However he did offer a solution. He said before they had the proper tool he would use a ground down hacksaw blade and fashion a tape handle to grip.

When I got home today I went out to the shop and ground a blade thinner on my belt sander. I then put a fine edge on it but kept the teeth, well as much of them as I could keep. I was able to clean a few of the slots before I came inside for dinner. Sure wish I had made that tape handle though, ha.

Seems like it was a good suggestion and I think that in about an hour I should be able to get the slots cleaned out. I'm thinking that when I get done with the hacksaw work Ill go back through with a razor blade to make sure I got it all out.

At the suggestion of the motor man I will then put it armature assembly back in the lathe and make a couple passes at .001 each to take off the high edges. Apparently I was to aggressive in my first cuts causing all this junk to build up in the slots.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #13
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For your info VoltA the shop is in Tuscon and called Luna Industries, http://www.lunaindustriesinc.com/. They may be of some use to you one day. Not sure how far away they are from you.

I also called Plum Quick because they aren't too far down the road but they don't do armature work.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #14
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsoncartguy View Post
Ok sorry. Clearly don't know what is needed here for this job. Just trying to throw my two cents. Carry on
Well if you ever decide to do what I did you'll know when this thread is over. If you're ready to jump in just drive on up and we will screw yours up and you can partake in all the fun.

You go to the spring game?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #15
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I'm not close to Tuscon but I would look around if I needed motor work done as you did. I think your hacksaw blade technique should work fine. I don't know what motor houses use when they turn armatures but they may have some sort of burnishing tool to finish the job nicely.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 AM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have the correct tool (armature lathe), but if i did not have the correct tool, i would use a improvised tool (like a box knife) to cut the crud from between the segments, then when done, lightly polish the commutator (area where brushes ride) with some emery cloth to smooth/polish it. Since you already cut it in your lathe, cut the crud out from between the segments, then spin it in the lathe with a strip of fine sandpaper to smooth it down. I usually dont have super fine emery cloth, so i use a strip of heavily worn-out 80 grit plumbers sand paper strip (very very worn out, not anywhere near 80 grit anymore, i would guess closer to 200 grit). Blow everything out with compressed air real good when done. Dont hit it anywhere other than the copper contacts with the abrasives.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #17
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks cgtech. Ill see if I cant find some finer sand paper. I have the plumbers paper but none that's worn out. Didn't work on the armature today, got tied up with work and busted my windshield. Hit a turkey. Well in reality the turkey hit me. Hopefully tomorrow. I'm getting really anxious to get the cart going again.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #18
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What a freaking nightmare.
Cleaned that comm out with my hacksaw tool and a razor. Got it all clean as far as I could tell.

Chucked it up in the lathe and used some plumbers paper that I put on the wire wheel to "age" and cleaned the copper up. Then, just to be safe, I went over it again with a piece of Scotchbright. It is looking clean and shiny at this point.

Put it in the cart and nada.

Took off the motor, armature out, chucked it up, went through all the groves again with a razor blade and a bright headlamp, pressed back in, assembled the motor, back in the cart, connect all the wires, press the throttle and nothing.

Plugged in the Alltrax Tool Kit and it is throwing the shutdown code. Can't seem to find any reason for the shut down. Just wont go. I assume its the commutator but dang I've really tried to get it clean. I'm not seeing anything touching.

I really need another working motor to install to see if I'm wasting my time working on the motor and its not really the problem.

Wonder if I could ohm the little pieces of the commutator to see if or where there may be a short?

Pics attached of my commutator hacksaw cleaner tool and the comm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3234.JPG (537.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3233.JPG (613.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-13-2016, 10:22 PM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That commutator looks ok to me. I doubt that is your problem. You might want to try to run the motor on a single battery without the controller to see if it runs. I bet it will. To run a Series motor, just connect the field in series with the armature and block up your cart with the rear wheels off the ground. Connect the motor cables to a single or two batteries. Don't over rev it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #20
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the commutator is still the problem and there is a short somewhere would direct connecting damage the motor or would it just not run?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO