lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
ds46000
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 Club Car DS- Speed issue

Hello all,

I have a newly acquired 2002 Club Car DS that I am having a couple of issues with. I have read all of the stickies and as many threads as possible pertaining to the suspect parts, but I am still not sure where to go from here. I have several bits of info that I thought I would mention so that perhaps someone may be better able to diagnose than I have been. Main problem is the cart is slow up hills. Here are some facts:

2002 Club Car DS IQ
GE Motor
2016 Batteries
Lifted 6" w/ 22" properly inflated tires.
No additional weight on cart (no roof, no back seat, no extra passengers, etc).
Here are the speeds when driving around neighborhood on pavement:
Speed going up hill 8mph (all speeds per GPS).
Speed on flat roads 10mph.
Speed going downhills 14-15mph.

When following procedure for testing speed sensor, cart does NOT seem to experience any engine braking, and does NOT make any audible beeping. The "backup buzzer" is indeed working though, as it does make noise when putting cart into reverse.

Every now and then, while driving around with foot to the floor...cart will lose all power. Take foot off of the pedal & repress and it starts going fine again.

Semi-related: While washing cart last week, I took it for a drive to dry it off afterwords, and while going up the steepest of hills @ 8mph with the pedal pushed all the way to the floor as usual...the cart, all of the sudden, took off like a scalded dog! It was probably doing double the normal speed. I attributed it to possibly getting water in a connection or somewhere it shouldn't have been. Have not had that happen before, and have not been able to replicate it since. But even though I figured something was "wrong" for that to happen, it still felt good knowing at least it was physically possible for this thing to get some decent speed!

All wires going to speed sensor appear to be intact. Nothing obviously broken.

Do not know if speed sensor or magnet have ever been changed.

Does any of this point to one thing over the other, with regards to MCOR, speed sensor, magnet, controller, etc?

I was starting to think it may be a bad speed sensor, and perhaps the 8mph is because it's in limp mode, but then with it going a bit faster on the flats 10mph and 15 mph or so downhill... I wasn't so sure anymore. Does the limp mode limit speed regardless of whether you are going uphill or down?

Thanks in advance for the help, and let me know if there's any additional info that you need to help diagnose.
ds46000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 Club Car DS- Speed issue

The problem appears to be the Speed Sensor.

Keep in mind that without the Speed Sensor working, the controller has no way to know how fast the motor is spinning, so it cannot regulate speed.

What the controller does when the speed sensor fails is to reduce the output power to 50%, that translates to about 8mph with stock components or 10mph with 22" tires on a level surface.

If You don't mind loosing most of the Regen brake ability, You can also install a "speed magnet" on the end of the motor that will allow the cart to go as fast as its components are able to perform.

RevolutionGolfCars.com is a site sponsor and caries both the speed sensor and the magnets in stock.

When washing the cart try to keep the water away from sensitive areas like the FNR switch and controller 16-pin connector.

Water presence around those areas can cause faulty operation until it dries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
ds46000
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sergio. I will do as you have advised & report back.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
ds46000
Not Yet Wild

Just wanted to update the thread: I finally got around to replacing the speed sensor & installed a new high speed magnet as well. Cart is now going about 20mph on the flats, 16mph up hill..and it got up to 27mph going downhill before i let up. Which brings me to my next question...is there any particular max speed that i should keep it under in order to not burn up the motor? I felt like it would have gone a couple more mph but i was afraid i would fry something.

Thanks again for the help Sergio.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is great

Since You have 22" tires, 27mph is not bad, You can probably go up to 30mph which would be 5700rpm.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #6
ds46000
Not Yet Wild

Ok, good to know. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
Reel Cajun
Not Yet Wild

Where do you install the magnet, and how difficult is it
Reel Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #8
Reel Cajun
Not Yet Wild

Got it, plenty of you tube videos
Reel Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car