lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2016, 08:02 PM   #21
Joel Craig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: One or all six?

Thank you everyone, this is fun. They were all so expensive! I went ahead and purchased six 6month old batteries with a 6month warranty from a local Interstate store. They are US 2200xc2 6 volt
Joel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #22
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Actually I'd be more inclined to look at "IN USE" voltage when considering battery health... I've seen many batteries from motorcycles, to lawn mowers to on board ship that held voltage just fine while at rest that would flat fall on its face when asked to deliver the amps... If based solely on at rest voltage if the battery is not holding 85 % SOC then I'm not risking fun or safety on it myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
In Use Voltage and Range are what you need to look at for battery health.
So do you guys got any numbers? For example, I asked on another thread about my 48V cart going down to 44-45 volts in use. Everybody said that it was fine, but if you look on a SOC chart, it's dead as a door nail. (The cart runs great, batts are fairly new) Seems like you would need to do some serious "JohnnieB" math to come up with a number. A lot of variables. (Controller, motor, tire size)

Mr Craig, good you solved your problem. I'm surprised you found six month old used batteries. What's the story on them?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:08 PM   #23
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
So do you guys got any numbers? For example, I asked on another thread about my 48V cart going down to 44-45 volts in use. Everybody said that it was fine, but if you look on a SOC chart, it's dead as a door nail. (The cart runs great, batts are fairly new) Seems like you would need to do some serious "JohnnieB" math to come up with a number. A lot of variables. (Controller, motor, tire size)

Mr Craig, good you solved your problem. I'm surprised you found six month old used batteries. What's the story on them?
In use numbers are not at rest numbers... In use my cart can drop down below 42 volts which is not generally recommended but that is based on generally flat terrain usage... I got's HILLS here....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #24
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Voltage drop under load is totally different than static load sitting there. I think it's mathematically possible for this size battery pack to maintain voltage under full draw.

SOC is measured resting though
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #25
Joel Craig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I looked up cart batteries on my local craigs list and there they were, for sale from a local Interstate batterie shop .The actual add was for a lesser battery but the sales person told me that he had these for
10bucks more a piece. So with my cores, I got them for $325.00 with the 6month warranty.It felt like I did ok, we will see.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:03 PM   #26
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Craig View Post
I looked up cart batteries on my local craigs list and there they were, for sale from a local Interstate batterie shop .The actual add was for a lesser battery but the sales person told me that he had these for
10bucks more a piece. So with my cores, I got them for $325.00 with the 6month warranty.It felt like I did ok, we will see.
Sounds like you did fine so long as they were truthful and sold you 6 month old batteries....
Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #27
Joel Craig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

true that.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #28
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Sounds like you did fine so long as they were truthful and sold you 6 month old batteries....
I have bought two 12v batteries recently. One for my tractor and one for my electric gate. Both were odd size batteries that probably wouldn't sell quick. When I was looking on the rack, there weren't any that size. The sales guy asked what I was looking for and said he had some in the back.

When I got home, I noticed both batteries had no date of manufacture. The batteries I was replacing had a little round sticker with the date in it. They work fine, but I wonder if they got old on the shelf. The store then puts them on a charger and rips off the sticker.

I believe my Trojans have a date stamped on the post. But the two aforementioned batteries had nothing anywhere. (One was Advanced Auto brand and one was an Optima.)

Anyways, to the OP, I would look for a date on the batts.

As to the "in use" vs "at rest", I realize the SOC chart won't work for "in use". My point was, what numbers do you use? I mean, several people agreed that "in use" was a better indication of battery health. So how is it an indication if you don't have a spicific number to look for?
Old 06-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #29
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
... As to the "in use" vs "at rest", I realize the SOC chart won't work for "in use". My point was, what numbers do you use? I mean, several people agreed that "in use" was a better indication of battery health. So how is it an indication if you don't have a spicific number to look for?
You do have specific numbers; look at the battery SOC chart up in the stickies and/or provided by Scotty B the in use numbers are referenced there. Also through general battery research you come across these numbers and you remember them...
Old 06-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #30
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
You do have specific numbers; look at the battery SOC chart up in the stickies and/or provided by Scotty B the in use numbers are referenced there. Also through general battery research you come across these numbers and you remember them...
Did you read the discussion? All the SOC charts I've seen are for "at rest". The guys are saying those are not a good indication. Their saying "in use" is better. So my question is where is the "in use" SOC chart?

Edit, Ok, I found it now. 31 for a 36 system and 42 for a 48 system.
Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO