lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
ToolExpressDude
Not Yet Wild

Default Changing to a electric cart.....advice please?

I bought a older Yamaha gas cart, restored it to running, and now I realize it is just too loud and smoky for my conservative neighborhood. So if I am wanting an EZ GO to work with, that will go around 30 mph and holds a charge for a good stretch, could you guys make a recommendation? Is 48 volt necessary? Should I avoid newer models because of complexity to work on? Your thoughts? Thanks!
PS I live on flat area near the coast of SC.
ToolExpressDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Changing to a electric cart.....advice please?

30MPH is a tall order. No stock carts go that fast so you need to look for modified carts. Almost certainly 48V.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I agree with VA
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
MichaelClayshulte
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

30 is definitely impossible to hit stock, you'd be looking at 48v, upgraded controller, solenoid, motor,battery cables and maybe a little bigger tires to get there. I'm running a stock PDS motor, 36v with bigger cables and higher amp controller and solenoid and 23 inch tires and hitting 28 Mph on flat. BTW what part of SC you in?
MichaelClayshulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:53 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

i agree, none of the stock carts will hit 30mph without a big trade-off for the max range you still want. just not enough energy in the battery pack to do it without a hit on the max range. (have the cake & eat it too). 30mph for miles, then play 18 holes, 30mph home, then cruise by all the friends houses, its a tough order to fill. pushing the cart to those speeds is fun, but it has to give somewhere, max range will be reduced. unless you want to get into the big money lithium pack setups, the area under the seat just doesnt have a big enough "gas tank" to have max range + top speed with lead-acid batteries to deliver both. its a trade-off. the newer AC yamahas can be had with a 8x 6v T-105 battery pack (big gas tank) for good range, and good speed with HS gears, but the trade-off of range/speed still remains.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolExpressDude View Post
I bought a older Yamaha gas cart, restored it to running, and now I realize it is just too loud and smoky for my conservative neighborhood. So if I am wanting an EZ GO to work with, that will go around 30 mph and holds a charge for a good stretch, could you guys make a recommendation? Is 48 volt necessary? Should I avoid newer models because of complexity to work on? Your thoughts? Thanks!
PS I live on flat area near the coast of SC.
ToolExpressDude.....It's Possible...but not a stock cart as mentioned by the others. SO, seeing as how you are up to the challenge of a DIY build (you did it before with your gas cart) my suggestion to you would be a DEAD electric cart, which means you should be able to get it CHEAP! tear it down to the frame and start from scratch so that when you are done....its 100% done and ready to go for years.

Thing's to seriously consider to fill all your needs.
Upgrade the ENTIRE drive system. New batteries (48v via 8-6v configuration with higher than average AH rating this will maximize your runtime), New Controller, Larger cables (all of them), since you are in an area that's FLAT, a High Speed Motor. New Wheels/Tires with a Diameter of about 20", this will be the largest tires you can run without a lift, this will keep you center of gravity down seeing as how you are wanting to run FAST! LOL

The things above will get you where you want to go.....but you have to remember:
"Speed Cost Money....How Fast Do You Want To Go!"

If you look at my sig.....although I am still running 36v, I have a range of roughly 25+ miles on a charge.....and a Top Speed of 27 MPH, however I am running 23" tires.....
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
mjroman20
Gone Wild

I'd suggest contacting electrical motor products. http://empinc.biz/ I've worked with them a lot and I have seen some of their motors do 30mph. They have a questionnaire you can fill out and they can give you some options to meet your needs.

As everyone has said you will defiantly want to go with 48V. I would also suggest getting some more effective brakes. At those speeds I don't trust the stock equipment.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

EMP Inc built my motor. I did not need 30 mph, but they are great to work with.

They gave me what I wanted with ability to go faster if I want to adjust my controller.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #9
Helirich
Gone Wild

My cart has eight 6 volt batteries, a 500 amp controller, 2G cables and 24" tires. It hits about 28 on flat ground. My tires are big knobby, low pressure, off road style. If I was to get some high pressure "street" tires, I'm have no doubt it would do 30.

Having said that, I have to note that I can't keep up 24-28 mph for long distances because the motor gets very hot. About two miles at those speeds will have it cooking. I figure the range is about 24-26 total, just not all at one time. (At least at those speeds)

I ordered some "tela-temp" tape. When I get home next week, I'm going to do some testing on the cart to see how hot the motor is actually getting. I will report back.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My cart (described in my signature block) does 28+ MPH on 17" tall tires @42V, has a 30+ mile range and would do over 30 MPH if I installed taller tires.

Another forum member (TerryH) has an EZGO PDS cart running the same motor at 48V with 20" tires and 6:1 gears and has a top speed over 40 MPH.

Basically, getting speed is a matter of picking the right chassis and installing the right aftermarket components while range is making the cart efficient as possible and carrying enough kWh of stored electrical energy with you.

Two very important things to consider are the stopping ability and stability.
The cart only has two wheel mechanical brakes and it has a narrow track and a short wheelbase.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO