lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
LEB_Kris
Not Yet Wild

Default First cart excitement, newblet questions

Hey guys,
long time lurker, short time member, first time poster.

My family and I bought a refurb 2014 Ezgo 48v txt a few weeks ago and have spent the past week cruising our local beach (paved surfaces only). More enjoyment than could imagine in such a short period of time.

So far my only upgrades are a few stainless trim pieces, voltage reducer, fuse box and a bluetooth speaker....more will come as my mad money replentishes.

Future goals are a little more speed, a little more stainless trim and a better radio setup.

My questions....

I currently have 6ga cable connecting my batteries. I have read many threads about the 2ga cable upgrade. Are there any negative impacts of going larger? I use a lot of 1/0 cable in my business. If not, I'll go that route. If so, Ill buy a spool of 2ga.

Secondly, does anyone sell used parts for these things? Im looking for a temporary rear diff cover to use while I send my cover off to be Jet-Hot coated (I'm a dealer)

Lastly, Im looking in to relocate my FNR switch from the dash to under the seat with ScottyB's kit as well as a digital voltage meter. Can someone explain the voltage range? I have a touch over 51v at full charge, I run the cart down to 48 before its necessary to charge again? Less? Currently, I do not have a gauge. Im basically charging it nightly, unless its driven very little, or, adversely, its feeling a little sluggish.

Thanks,
Kris
LEB_Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: First cart excitement, newblet questions

Huge cables- only drawback is they are not as flexible.
More speed- well, how fast is it now?
Diff cover- it's not unique to the txt, rxv and many Yamaha diff cover will fit.
Voltage- 48v is about 50%, 51v is full. Get a volt meter. If you get one from ScottyB, you can get a nice metal filler panel to put it next to your keyswitch & fill the hole of your current F&r switch.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #3
LEB_Kris
Not Yet Wild

Good to know on the cables

Currently runs 20.8 with me in it only (175lbs) and 19.7 with the me, my wife and 4 yr old (350lbs total) with 23x10.5x14 tires.

Ideally, 30mph would be my goal, but 25 with a little more bottom end would make me happy.

Ive found the diff cover on ezgo's website for $50. I guess I was hoping someone had one collecting dust on a junk axle.

The metal panel with the volt meter is what I'm buying. I do have a volt meter. 48v = 1/2 charge is what I wanted to know.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEB_Kris View Post
Good to know on the cables

Currently runs 20.8 with me in it only (175lbs) and 19.7 with the me, my wife and 4 yr old (350lbs total) with 23x10.5x14 tires.

Ideally, 30mph would be my goal, but 25 with a little more bottom end would make me happy.

Ive found the diff cover on ezgo's website for $50. I guess I was hoping someone had one collecting dust on a junk axle.

The metal panel with the volt meter is what I'm buying. I do have a volt meter. 48v = 1/2 charge is what I wanted to know.

Thanks
here is state of charge chart

post a want to buy in the for sale area

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-carts-parts/

30mph with a 4yro ?? yikes
Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Both your controller and your tires are holding your top speed down.

The Curtis 1206HB controller limits the motor to a max of about 4400 RPM, which is 18.9 MPH on stock height (18") tires, but you're are only reaching 3782 RPM on your 23" tires for 20.8 MPH. Mathematically, with 23" tall tires and 4400RPM you should be getting 24.2 MPH, but in reality the top speed will be less theoretical due to the increased mechanical drag of the taller tires.

I suspect you have off-road tires whose max inflation pressure is less than 10 PSI. Your cart would be faster with on-road tires, or off road tires whose max inflation pressure was in the 20 PSI or greater range.

The 23" tire height is costing you about 22% of the available torque throughout the stock motor's RPM spectrum (plus addition torque loss if they are the low pressure type). The torque at the low end can be increased by replacing the stock 250A controller with a 400A (or greater) aftermarket controller such as the Alltrax XCT48400-TXT48. This will also improve high end torque a bit, but top speed will probably remain about the same.

To reach 30 MPH while running 23" tall tires, you'll likely have to replace Controller and Motor as well as the tire type. To get 25MPH on 23" tall tires, you may not have to replace the motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Regarding cables, for flexibility reasons make sure you get welding cables. You can get 2 gauge cable for household use but it's not flexible enough for a cart.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
LEB_Kris
Not Yet Wild

Great information guys. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:09 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yes, please skip any wire you find at home depot. If the "skin" is glossy looking, it's not good for golf carts. That's for wiring inside a wall for a welder or clothes dryer.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:57 AM   #9
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

600 strand is good for 2g,400 strand is good for 4g if you are using wielding cable.....
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO