lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Slop in axle to spindle mount.

Those parts are both very worn. You will need to replace them to get it tight again.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #12
NoleFan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, this is a 1996. The issue is in the axle holes for the spindle correct? Or am I looking at it wrong?
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #13
mutley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
Yes, this is a 1996. The issue is in the axle holes for the spindle correct? Or am I looking at it wrong?
Yes, the axle hole should be round not elliptical, so that needs to be fixed. But the spindle also looks worn (from where it was rubbing/moving in the axle hole). If it is worn and you use it in a new axle, you will have the same problem again in no time. So IMO, I'd replace the axle and spindles.

You can check the spindle for round with a micrometer, but it looks bad enough that you could probable use a cheap caliper gauge.
mutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #14
NoleFan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley View Post
Yes, the axle hole should be round not elliptical, so that needs to be fixed. But the spindle also looks worn (from where it was rubbing/moving in the axle hole). If it is worn and you use it in a new axle, you will have the same problem again in no time. So IMO, I'd replace the axle and spindles.

You can check the spindle for round with a micrometer, but it looks bad enough that you could probable use a cheap caliper gauge.
Thanks, any harm in running it like it is for now? Besides tire wear and maybe a little bumpy?

Can I add washers to try and tighten the play up in the mean time?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
mutley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Thanks, any harm in running it like it is for now? Besides tire wear and maybe a little bumpy?

Can I add washers to try and tighten the play up in the mean time?
No harm at all, the damage is already done. Eventually it will brake, so you may want to consider using a grade 8 bolt (rather than stock) through the whole assembly. So that when it does brake, the wheel/hub/spindle doesn't actually come off. If the tie-rod end(s) are not already worn from the excess movement, you will also be trashing those / making them worse. But again, the damage is already done.
No point in adding washers and over tightening it, the only way to stop movement now would be to tighten it so much that you couldn't steer the cart any more. But to get it that tight you'd probably end up just braking bolts or tools.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #16
NoleFan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley View Post
No harm at all, the damage is already done. Eventually it will brake, so you may want to consider using a grade 8 bolt (rather than stock) through the whole assembly. So that when it does brake, the wheel/hub/spindle doesn't actually come off. If the tie-rod end(s) are not already worn from the excess movement, you will also be trashing those / making them worse. But again, the damage is already done.
No point in adding washers and over tightening it, the only way to stop movement now would be to tighten it so much that you couldn't steer the cart any more. But to get it that tight you'd probably end up just braking bolts or tools.
Good idea on the grade 8 bolt. I will do that.

And yes, damage is done, tie-rod ends are spent too.

How do I determine if I have stock spindles or if I have drop spindles to make my cart higher?
Old 10-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
mutley
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
How do I determine if I have stock spindles or if I have drop spindles to make my cart higher?
The picture on post#8 makes it look like you have stock spindles. So if your cart is lifted, it's a drop axle lift. It doesn't look like a stock axle from the picture, but it's really hard to tell for sure.
Stock spindles will have the wheel mounting 1/2 way between the axle points that are worn on your cart.
Drop spindles will have the wheel mounting a lot lower than the axle.

Stock: Wheel center / Spindles / whole axle will all be in close horizontal alignment

Drop axle:- Wheel center / spindles / axle END (only) will be in close horizontal alignment, the center part of the axle will be higher.

Drop spindle:- Wheel center and spindle shaft will be in alignment, axle and rotating part of spindle will be higher.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO