lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Back up buzzer as trigger for back up camera

Great Forum!! I'm new to all of this and digging in the archives has helped me a ton. I have a 2003 36v TXT PDS. I want to add a back up camera I had lying around. I know just enough about wiring to get me in trouble so I like to turn to the experts. I thought I could use the 36v wires coming from the buzzer to something like a headlight relay to trigger a 12v circuit to turn on the camera. It appears that positive line is always hot and the negative line is the one switched from the reverse switch. That used up all my knowledge of relays!
What can I use to switch the camera. Needless to say I assume I would fry it on 36v.
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Back up buzzer as trigger for back up camera

Welcome to BGW
Likely it is 12v automotive so you will need a relay with a 36v switch coil
SPDT (single pole double throw) and a 12v supply for the camera.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick response!
Please excuse that it might sound like I have no idea what I am talking about because I don't.. What is your normal driving light relay? Is that SPDT or SPST? I know they aren't really rated 36v but thought I would try one to see if it did what I wanted. It would switch on 36 volts but not but not from the back up buzzer.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegarex View Post
Great Forum!! I'm new to all of this and digging in the archives has helped me a ton. I have a 2003 36v TXT PDS. I want to add a back up camera I had lying around. I know just enough about wiring to get me in trouble so I like to turn to the experts. I thought I could use the 36v wires coming from the buzzer to something like a headlight relay to trigger a 12v circuit to turn on the camera. It appears that positive line is always hot and the negative line is the one switched from the reverse switch. That used up all my knowledge of relays!
What can I use to switch the camera. Needless to say I assume I would fry it on 36v.
You can use a 12V relay powered from 12V on the + side, with a diode or rectifier in series on the - side to the reverse switch. The diode will block the +36V from going through the coil back to the +12V supply, but when that switch takes the buzzer - side to ground it will allow the 12V to flow through the 12V relay coil to ground. Just use a 1N4004 diode with the striped end pointed away from the relay coil in line with the coil to reverse switch/buzzer connection. You can switch camera power with the relay contacts.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:35 AM   #5
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK. I got the diode and I am not any closer. I take it a standard driving light relay is not what I need? Again I am far from an expert I am not getting the relay to trip. I'm sure it has to do with the fact the - line does the switching but I have no idea what it takes to make it work.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The relay takes + and - to energize the coil and pull the contact up/in (turn it on) so if - is switched then + would be constant ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

A 12V driving light relay is fine. You'll need to connect one side of the relay coil to the +12V from your 12V reducer. The other side of the relay coil connects to the - connection of your buzzer, through the diode. The banded end of the diode points towards the buzzer - connection. When you go into reverse, as the reverse buzzer activates, the relay coil should energize. Most 12V reducers share a common output negative with the input negative, which is what allows this to work. If it does not work, there are a couple of other options that can be used.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Using a driving light relay I connected the negative (85) to the - lead from buzzer. The + from the buzzer goes to the trigger (86). I supplied a 12v + to the input (30/51) and the output terminal (87) shows nothing and not getting a "click" at all. Tried reversing 85 and 86 with difference. Relay works as I can put battery voltage to 85 and 86 and get it to click. Do I need a relay with another ground or something?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For some reason things were funky trying to get this to work off the buzzer. I tried the switch instead of the buzzer and all is normal and well.
Thanks for all the advice!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO