lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2002 EZGO TXT Speed Issues.

Hello everyone, new poster here.

So I bought a 2002 EZGO TXT 36V, it was in decent shape and a good price. The batteries are Trojans, and were manufactured in 2012, they have no swelling on the ends, but I have not tested them with a hydromater(sp?), or a load tester yet. I test drove the cart before I purchased it, but there weren't any hills around, only flat land. After buying it I took it to my Camp Ground, made sure the water was topped off in the batteries, and it was fully charged. I then went out to drive around. The cart took off fine, but soon as you hit a hill would slow to 1-2 MPH, and even wide open would only go 6-7 MPH. So I began the endeavor of upgrading it.

I found Scottyb website online, and ended up doing a complete upgrade and overhaul. I put in:

High amperage SR48500 Alltrax control
- High amp 400/1000 super solenoid
- High amp 2 gauge cable set
- High amp SW202 F&R
- High amp Admiral B1 motor
- Fn1 Controller Dial

I ended up adding a whole new body, top, backseats, pretty much everything. I also installed a separate 12v battery that controls all the new stuff I added such as lights, the radio, bass speaker, power converter, and amp.

So after the upgrade I take it out to test it, and my speeds have greatly improved. I can now run 16-17 MPH wide open, and about 9-10 going up hills. Scottyb set up the controller before he sent it, and ive only made adjustments to set up the parameters for the F1 controller. Everything in the setup looks fine. It is wired exactly as the diagrams provided with the upgrades shows, Ive double checked it a dozen times.

So here is my question. After researching online this same set up with the new controller, solenoid, and ,motor, are these speed numbers correct for this setup with 23 tires? From what im reading people are getting up in the 20's, as far as speed with this set up. Or is this the best I can hope for till I upgrade to 48v?
hawmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
marianol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 EZGO TXT Speed Issues.

I will take a look at how the batteries perform under load.

My non expert advise is the batteries are in their last leg.

Post each battery voltage 12hs after full charge.

For reference, I have that same 36v txt all stock except for cables, with a 5in lift and 22in tires, aux 12v battery and Costo batteries from 2015 (the cheapest) and I get 15/16 mph on flat ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
marianol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure if the Admiral B1 is a high-torque or a high speed motor, but with a stock motor your setup ought to theoretically do upwards of 18MPH on level ground with 36V battery pack that is in good health and 23" tall tires. However, the 5' taller than stock tires reduce the torque by 22% while increasing speed by 28%, so the fact your cart is getting up to about 17MPH probable means the B1 is a high speed motor.

Your batteries are 5 years old, so they are likely near the end of their useful lifespan. I suspect your are getting all you can get out of the setup until the batteries are replaced.

Connect a laptop to the SR controller and save a data log while you are driving it, including some hills, and it will show what the battery voltage is dropping to under load, as well as many other parameters.

A good 36V battery pack drops about 1V per 100A of current draw and the amp delivery system you have typically drops another volt or so.

The pack voltage baseline is the reading when the solenoid contacts first close at the beginning of the trip.

If you zip the csv file, it can be attached to a post here.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you need new batteries get 48v for more torque and speed.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you need new batteries get 48v for more torque and speed.
Im actually looking at a lithium battery setup that I saw on another post here in the forums. I think the 48V pack was up around 52v. EV Batteries i think it was. Is the Sr Controller ok to use with Lithium?
Old 06-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawmarine View Post
Im actually looking at a lithium battery setup that I saw on another post here in the forums. I think the 48V pack was up around 52v. EV Batteries i think it was. Is the Sr Controller ok to use with Lithium?
Oh yeah - the SR is lithium approved. And I think you will find the voltage increase and the weight reduction will put this cart right where you want it to be. Keep us posted
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #7
hawmarine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So I put the batteries on a load tester tonight. Soon as I hooked it up all the batteries were on the line between week, and good. Once I hit the load button and put them under load, it showed right on the line between weak, and bad. I'll run it tommorow and record the SR Controller and post it, I'm guessing, it will just confirm what I'm suspecting. The batteries are pretty much about shot. Scotty I'll be ordered the piece I need to change to make it 48v tommorow. I think it was just a diode on the solenoid?
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawmarine View Post
So I put the batteries on a load tester tonight. Soon as I hooked it up all the batteries were on the line between week, and good. Once I hit the load button and put them under load, it showed right on the line between weak, and bad. I'll run it tommorow and record the SR Controller and post it, I'm guessing, it will just confirm what I'm suspecting. The batteries are pretty much about shot. Scotty I'll be ordered the piece I need to change to make it 48v tommorow. I think it was just a diode on the solenoid?
3 amp Coil Suppression Diode AND the 470 ohm Pre-Charge Resistor.....you need them both to jump from 36v to 48v
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO