lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Marathon differential pan

hey,

We have a marathon cart that was making rough noise in the differential. Checked the axle bearings first on each side, one was replaced. after that I drained the diff fluid and removed the pan. I noticed it was dented inward, and when I removed it I noticed the main large gear ground out a path in the bottom of the pan. Now I'm suspecting that was the cause of the rough noise and not a bearing issue. The diff. had proper fluid level inside, but do you guys think the teeth on the gear received permanent damage from grinding out a path in the bottom of the pan? I found no metal shavings strangely in the pan or old fluid.

let me know what yins think
thanks
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
crbinson
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Marathon differential pan

Highly unlikely the pan did any damage to the ring gear but the shavings from the pan had to go somewhere...
crbinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Yeah, I think they at one time changed the fluid and drained it out. So that's why there's no sign of the metal shavings. I can tell that, because the material used to make the new gasket is not the factory stuff.

Any advice on removing the input shaft while axle is still in cart? Its a real pain to work around the motor because it seems like the motor can't be dropped out without the differential being removed. I was told it can be hard to slide the input shaft out, and to hammer the back of the case to help it loosen up
Old 06-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well, I was able to remove the input shaft with the differential still in the cart and replace the destroyed bearing that goes in first. Now my big issue is trying to tap it back into place. I did not tap it straight in so the bearing is on a slight angle and now the dang thing is jammed up I have a feeling just to remove it now and start over I will have to remove the differential now....exactly what I was trying to avoid.

..any advice for this poor soul?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO