lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
kroy1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Club Car charger very hot (new battries)

Club Car charging question: first time charging a club car. Brand new batteries just installed. Pack read 48.3 volts fresh from store. After 2 hours pack reads 55.5 volts (that was an instant reading after unplugging charger so surly not actually that high) and charger reads 8 on meter Charger is hot to the touch. Too hot. Pack is not boiling. Nothing hot on the cart. So, do I let it go and wait for charger to cut it self off or is there a problem.
I've had 3 Ezgo carts and never this problem but since the "computer" is in the cart and not charger I'm not sure what to do.
kroy1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
kroy1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club Car charger very hot (new battries)

BTW. Cart runs great with no issues. After the aforementioned charge cycle I drove cart for about an hour and down to 49.1 pack voltage which should be 80%
Old 06-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Let it charge all the way, voltage can reach close to 65 volt but charger will be at low amps when it does.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
crash test dummy

you need to do an obc reset then let it go till it turns off

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27

I recently received this info from David at Revolution Golf Cars:

Series Carts:

1.) Disconnect pack positive and pack negative connections
2.) Put vehicle in reverse
3.) Hold accelerator pedal all the way down until reverse buzzer stops
4.) Reconnect power

Sepex Carts:

1.) Flip tow/run switch to tow
2.) Disconnect pack positive and pack negative connections
3.) Wait 10 to 15 minutes
4.) Reconnect power
5.) Flip tow/run switch to run
If you don't know if your cart is Series or Sepex,

Click here >>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html
Old 06-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
kroy1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the 2 good replies! Wouldn't have thought pack would reach as high 65 6volts without damage to the batteries so that's a big help. Didn't know there was an OBC reset procedure and sorta figure the cart being without batterirs for a few weeks would do that but very good suggestion.

I'll let this second charge continue for a another hour to see where I'm at but I'm kinda scared to leave the charger on all night because it just seems too hot. I'll reset the BOX tomorrow.

I really like the ezgo setup better...
Old 06-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroy1968 View Post
Thanks for the 2 good replies! Wouldn't have thought pack would reach as high 65 6volts without damage to the batteries so that's a big help. Didn't know there was an OBC reset procedure and sorta figure the cart being without batterirs for a few weeks would do that but very good suggestion.

I'll let this second charge continue for a another hour to see where I'm at but I'm kinda scared to leave the charger on all night because it just seems too hot. I'll reset the BOX tomorrow.

I really like the ezgo setup better...
It will also time out at around 16 hours if I remember correctly. Just be sure as the pack voltage goes up the amps usually are dropping down. As the others said, you still had a ways to go before it would have charged down and cut off.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #7
kroy1968
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update: against my comfort I allowed the charger to run over night. This morning the charger had shut off and pack was at full voltage (51.3 volts...i had read that full voltage was 50.93 so that's pretty close)
My biggest concern was how hot the charger gets. No way that's safe. It can not be held by the handle more then a few seconds. Never had an ezgo charger get more then warm. Also, I've had a dozen chargers for floor cleaning equipment and they have never been more then warm. Admittedly, all my other chargers have been 36 or 24 volt but Im still uncomfortable of the burn danger created by this charger.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
crash test dummy

do not interrupt you charging cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady89
Golf Cart Battery maintenance

Watering your golf cart batteries
Only add distilled water AFTER fully charging. The only time you should add water before charging is if the lead plates are exposed. Only then fill just above the lead plates.

It is important that all battery cells be filled properly to obtain good battery life. The water should completely cover the plates inside the battery, but should be about a quarter inch below the bottom of the fill tube.*Using a battery fill bottle will eliminate the quess work. Again, always use distilled water.

Use only distilled, deionized or demineralized water to replace the lost water in batteries. Using tap water from homes or buisnesses can produce calcium or magnesium sulfate crystals that can fill the pores and coat the plates therfore reducing battery life

Charging your batteries
Charge the batteries daily after each use. If you play golf; charge between rounds if possible.

Before you plug in the golf cart battery charger, inspect all battery cables for frays or corrosion and make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

Cleaning your batteries
Always neutralize the battery acid first before rinsing of with water. You can use a mixture of baking soda and water or get some battery acid cleaner from an auto parts store. Cleaning your batteries once a month is a good practice. If you minimize corrosion to the electrical system battery life can be increased and properly maintained batteries can last as long as 5 years.

Let the cleaner set for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse off with clean water. Be careful not to spray water directly into electrical components like your speed controller.

After rinsing if there is still deposits of battery acid spray again with the baking soda solution or cleaner and let it sit for at least 5 minutes before rinsing; repeat if required.

These deposits on the batteries must be removed because they can cause your golf cart batteries to self discharge. If there is still evidence of corrosion get some protective gloves and a stiff bristle brush and scrub the deposits off. Dirt and debris can build up quicker on lifted golf carts because they are typically used off road.

These basic cleaning tips also work on gas golf cart batteries
please read and follow the attached battery guide
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Guide.pdf (45.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

You didn't mention what charger you have but the PD 3 charger I have on my 2010 Precedent gets very hot. It's a characteristic of that charger. Make sure it gets good air circulation around it and there won't be a problem.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Mine gets hot (Powerdrive 3), very hot on the sides, but as it should as it has to dissipate all the heat being generated by the transformer inside it. The harder and longer it has to charger, inherently the hotter it will become. This is why you always want to have it on concrete and away from anything close so it remains well ventilated for the best heat dissipation. My neighbor actually worries about his so he has a small floor fan that blows on it while in operation. I seldom take my pack down below ~60% - 70% so it does not have to charge more than a few hours to be back to full and it cuts off.

Note- I can grab mine by the handle, it will hot, but not to the point I cannot touch it.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car