lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #11
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 6"A-arm Lift with front disc brakes

After a call to Jake’s tech line, it appears that there is a good chance the spindles on their 4” a-arm lift are in fact identical to mine. Did confirm that mounting hardware is the same and overall height, but difficult to measure the axle height on the phone. So I ordered it and if it doesn’t work they will take it back no questions. I’ll keep everyone posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E36Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 PM   #12
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Kit arrived and from initial visual inspection it does in fact seem like it will bolt right on. But won’t know for sure until it’s installed. Hoping to get to it this weekend.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Racer View Post
Kit arrived and from initial visual inspection it does in fact seem like it will bolt right on. But won’t know for sure until it’s installed. Hoping to get to it this weekend.

Looking forward to hearing the verdict.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #14
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

So I finally got to the Jakes brake kit last night. Couple hurdles....

1) the axle nut on my factory lift is smaller than the Jakes axle. No big deal, it’s a standard size and my buddy had 2 of the correct nuts in his garage. Crisis adverted, so I thought.

2) the top and bottom spindle bolts on my factory lift are larger in diameter than those needed for the Jakes kit. I didn’t measure them at the time but I think the factory are 1/2” and the Jakes spindle takes a 3/8 or 7/16”. This has me stumped a little since the heim joint hole is also 1/2”. So do I put a collar on the smaller bolt to take up the slop in the heim joint? Get new heim joints with the correct hole size that will hopefully also thread into the a arms? Have a machine shop drill and tap the spindles to fit the larger factory bolts? OR, have the caliper mounts cut off and welded to my factory spindles (and of course get them powder coated again)?

Easiest way would be to put a sleeve on the smaller bolts. However, I’m not sure if that is just too halfast and possibly dangerous. Or will it possible cause adjustment problems or something? But I don’t want my cart do be down for an extended period dealing with machine shops, welders, etc. So I’m at a temporary stand still right now. It is going to work, but isn’t going to be a direct bolt on like I had hoped.

Another thing I figured was worth mentioning about the Jakes kit is that I’m not overly impressed with some of the parts and think they could have done better. Specifically the wheel stud/rotor adapters. First, they don’t have the typical ridges like regular studs to hold them into the hub so getting the tire back on is a pain. More importantly is they are aluminum!!!! So that means if I over tighten the lugs they will either break or get stretched out. Aside from the fact I don’t know how much confidence I have in the overall strength of an aluminum wheel stud when every other wheel stud I’ve ever seen is grade 8 or some other hardened steel. I guess we will just have to see on those. On the spindles, I wonder why the mounting hardware is smaller than the factory parts as noted in #2 above. I’m not a mechanical engineer so it could just be that the factory parts are way over built. However when it comes to the suspension parts that ultimately hold the wheels on the cart I want it all as strong as possible.

I’ll update as I make more progress.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
I’m currently considering front brake options. My cart has the factory Club Car lift which I believe is an All Sports kit.
I don't know if I read all of your post correctly (on my part), but perhaps your existing All Sports Kit came with a different axle size than the stock (non-axle lifted) kit.

I know that doesn't solve your issue.....but just wondering.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #16
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

My stock axle is turned down to a smaller size where it is threaded. I’m guessing that OEM axles on non lifted carts are probably the same as the Jakes axle

Old 08-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #17
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Any updates on this?

I'm looking to do the same thing with my All Sport 6" double arm lift.

Some of your posts where confusing me, I read in some parts you have a factory lift and then I read All Sport lift. Can you please clarify?

Thank you for your research btw.
FZ0niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #18
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ0niner View Post
Any updates on this?

I'm looking to do the same thing with my All Sport 6" double arm lift.

Some of your posts where confusing me, I read in some parts you have a factory lift and then I read All Sport lift. Can you please clarify?

Thank you for your research btw.

The factor club car lift used on the Onward is an All Sport super sport a-arm kit. Sorry for any confusion. Everything needed for the retrofit not included in the kit I picked up at my local Ace hardware. Here is the final install.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #19
FZ0niner
Getting Wild

Quote:
The factor club car lift used on the Onward is an All Sport super sport a-arm kit. Sorry for any confusion. Everything needed for the retrofit not included in the kit I picked up at my local Ace hardware. Here is the final install.

That looks great! nice work!

So to confirm, you used a Jakes 6" spindle with All Sport double a-arm lift kit and some customizing to get this to work?
FZ0niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #20
E36Racer
Gone Wild

Club Car

And to clarify on the spindle bolts:

Stock/Allsport hardware was a 5/8” spindle bolt. Jakes spindle uses a 1/2” bolt. Picked up grade 8 1/2” bolts and bronze 1/2 to 5/8 bushings that I put in the heim joints. Worked perfectly. Needed to take the Dremel to cut the bushing length from 1” to about 3/4, maybe 5/8”. I didn’t measure, just hammered them into the heim joint flush with the bottom and cut the excess off of the top.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car