lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
jmar
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Club Car DS Controller Arcing

I have a 1990 Club Car DS, 36V. Recently the throttle controller burned out (actually caught on fire). I checked other component with VOM and they were ok. Replaced the controller and the cart worked fine for a couple of weeks and quit running. Found the new controller was damaged internally from arcing. Don't want to install a new controller until I can find out why they are arcing. Any ideas? Also, would it make since to convert this cart to a solid state system?
jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
fsu1tm
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1990 Club Car DS Controller Arcing

Welcome to BGW.

When you say "Throttle Controller" I have to assume you mean the vglide. I can't address what is causing yours to burn up. Obviously, too much amperage but what is causing more amperage is unknown without more information. Can you post some pics of the battery compartment? Especially of the "Controller" you mentioned.

As for a solid state upgrade...it's definitely worth it. Did mine last year and couldn't be happier. More speed. More torque. No problems as I had before.
fsu1tm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
jmar
Not Yet Wild

Yes it is the vglide. I think I found the problem. Inside the vglide the brush that connects to the first resistor was severely pitted and the end of the controller arm had melted and the brush had fallen off. Today I found the first resistor has a break in it. My guess is the broken resistor caused the arcing.
jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

A broken resistor coil would definitely cause arcs inside the VGlide.

As soon as the Solenoid closes, current flows through all of the resistors to the Motor.

Since there is always a baseline current flowing, the VGlide arm does not arc as much as it "by-passes" each resistor.

If one of the resistors is broken, the VGlide arm and not the Solenoid would be completing the circuit and since the total resistance would be reduced, the arc effect would be more pronounced.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arcing, club car ds 1990, controller, solid state conversion
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car