lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
december45
Not Yet Wild

Default '95 cart just quit

the cart;
1995 club cart electric
serial number A9528-445415
the story;
This cart is used as a spray rig, run around the property, go check the mail cart, its rough and well used.
The grand kids were over for Easter and roughed it up pretty good;
one of the 8 volt batteries had the post knocked off ( I do not know how in the world that happened) So I used JB Weld and put a new stud on the battery, its cured and I put a new cable on it and drove it out of the shed, 10 feet and it quit. Now it will not go forward nor reverse. I got good power from the batteries but no go.
Is there a way to eliminate the possibility of the forward reverse lever as the problem, as well as the "gas pedal" the electrical speed control box. I am not sure how to check these two items for failure.
thanks
december45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: '95 cart just quit

Let a real expert chime in but for some reason I thought JB Weld was a poor conductor of electricity?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
december45
Not Yet Wild

I have no clue, but it seems to be working, the battery is putting out power enough to pull it out of the shed, but then quit.
right now the JB weld battery is putting out 8.8 volts and the whole cart is getting 48.8 volts, now that is after the grand kids ran the wheels off of it all day.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Check all the battery cables. I don't know about JB weld on that post. Does not sound good to me.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #5
december45
Not Yet Wild

all the battery cables have been checked, the JB Weld battery is putting out 8.8 volts and all the batteries together are putting out 48.8 volts... this is after the kids run it all day sunday, it just sat on Monday curing, and this morning it ran for about 10 feet and quit, and I got nothing.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
TexTurbo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The voltage reading you are getting is "no load".....

JB weld is a VERY poor conductor... that is why your meter is reading voltage,
but is very likely dropping under load.....
My suggestion is remove the stud, run a proper size/thread tap in n out of the hole and re-install the stud with only a VERY small amount of JB at the very top of the stud as it meets the top of the hole.

You need that substantial amount of metal to metal contact thru the threads for proper conductivity.
TexTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

google battery post repair and use no jbweld on the next repair
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #8
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

The voltage reading you are getting is "no load".....

Attach your meter to the pack and read the voltage, then try to drive the cart and read the voltage. This will tell you if the JB repair is a problem.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
december45
Not Yet Wild

ok, I got it don't use JB Weld, so now my question is the "no load" voltage of 8.7 volts is what is keeping the cart from working? The repair of the battery post with JB Weld is the problem with the cart not moving at all. The only thing different from the last time the cart was working is the damaged post and the JB Weld repair.

ok, the cart does not "try" to move at all when I try the accelerator, no shutter, no sign of any kind that the cart is trying. My question is will there be a load on the batteries, will the meter show that the JB Weld battery is not working?
Old 04-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #10
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by december45 View Post
ok, I got it don't use JB Weld, so now my question is the "no load" voltage of 8.7 volts is what is keeping the cart from working? The repair of the battery post with JB Weld is the problem with the cart not moving at all. The only thing different from the last time the cart was working is the damaged post and the JB Weld repair.

ok, the cart does not "try" to move at all when I try the accelerator, no shutter, no sign of any kind that the cart is trying. My question is will there be a load on the batteries, will the meter show that the JB Weld battery is not working?
Yes when you put a load on the jb weld battery it will likely drop to zero.

Think of it this way. You can use one hair thin strand of wire and measure 50 volts with no problem. But when you load 100 amp draw on that wire it will melt into. Your connection is just touching. When you put it under load it melts the connection. Then when you take the load off you get enough contact to read the voltage again. If you can pull the jb weld loose by hand it was not strong enough anyway, let alone not a good conductor.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car