lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
Doc
Gone Wild

Default Can I Use This Charger on My 2013 Precedent?

I just picked up a '13 Precedent...Very nice cart with '16 batteries. My question is, can I use this charger on it? Bear in mind this cart will get very little use-maybe 3x a week if that, so I'm not sure if that matters. I know these types of chargers (more like maintainers) are slow to charge, but again, I don't think that's an issue at all with the use of this cart. Another question-do I have to bypass the OBC if I do indeed use this charger? Any caveats to doing that? Thank in advance!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg energysaver.jpg (141.5 KB, 0 views)
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Can I Use This Charger on My 2013 Precedent?

Yes, you can use that charger. No need to do anything else, just attach it to the main +ve and the main -ve.

It is best not to use it as the only charger. The batteries need to be charged initially with the CC charger because it has enough oomph to stir them up and get them bubbling.

After they are charged with the CC charger I think it is a great idea to disconnect the CC charger and connect the battery saver - especially if the cart is going to be sitting for a while. Opinions vary but I do that with the same Save-a-Battery and it works well. We did it with a friend's cart because when he got it the batteries were marginal. The float charger definitely helped lift them.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Doc
Gone Wild

I've heard that the Sav A Battery can bring back marginal batteries....good stuff!
Old 08-26-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I just want to reiterate what yawood mentioned and why..... That is a maintainer by design and not a commercial charger. Meaning your batteries in your CC need the high voltage and amperage supplied by your Powerdrive charger. That small charger/maintainer will not supply the amperage or correct algorithm to properly charge your batteries and if used solely, the batteries will deteriorate at a much higher rate. It is excellent as a maintainer to keep your batteries at the highest voltage and helps to prevent sulfation.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

This charger has also got to be able to get your batteries up over 58.0 volts in order for it to switch into its "float' mode. With only 1 amp output it can't get my 4 year old batteries over that threshold, in the end it throws off a lot of heat for its small size and worried me a bit so I don't feel comfortable with it...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #6
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have one of those chargers and it does a good job of helping marginal batteries over time. But it is not a replacement charger for a golf cart by any means. So I believe you need to get a real charger for it.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
Doc
Gone Wild

Can anyone suggest a decent, simple replacement on board charger?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...t-charger.html
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't forget that if you have an OBC you should use a PowerDrive charger or equivalent not a smart charger.

If you want to use a smart charger (E.R.I.C., DPI etc) you will need to by-pass the OBC.

In case you are not aware, the reason for this is that the OBC controls the "dumb" PowerDrive charger so that it shuts off when the batteries have had enough. The "smart" charger has this control built in so there is no longer any need for the OBC to do that job.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #10
SuperTroye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I have the Lester Summit and it works great. Can be mounted on or off the cart. The new Summit II version has bluetooth enabled where you can change factory settings and view charge status. It's pricey though at around $350 +/-
SuperTroye is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car