lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Western\TXT PDS Cart jerks, slows down, eventually goes into limp mode or stops

So I have been chasing this problem for years. The cart originally ran fine for a good long time, more than 6 months. Then the problems started.

The cart will run and at top speed will brake. I assumed it was hitting speed limiter. Then sometimes just as your driving along, not even at top speed the electric brake would slam on very quickly and release very quickly. Like 1 second on, 1 second off and that would continue. Sometimes that would continue until the cart came to a complete stop or the cart would come to limp mode. Sometime your just driving along, top speed, medium speed, whatever and it just slams on the electric brake solid until the cart stops or goes into limp mode. So the problem is inconsistent. Oh and sometimes the problem is there and and then won't show up again for months.

So I was told controller so I bought a rebuilt one. Same scenario, good for several months then same issues.

I bought another rebuilt controller. Same results but problem came faster this time.

So this time I was told the issue is because I drive slow for long periods of time in the woods that I am burning up the controllers.

So this time I bought a brand new 1268-5503 Curtis controller. I also upgraded the cables to 2ga and a huge solenoid. This time the problem came back in about a month. However this time I NEVER ran the cart slow. I also can confirm the controller is not over heating. So that theory is out the window. Next I read about speed sensors so we replaced that. Now the problem is worse. The cart will only run properly for a short period of time. Then it goes to limp mode. Next day it seems to be fine.

The LED is giving a 1,3 blink code which is speed sensor. This doesn't make any sense because if it were bad all these years then why would the problem be fine for months or even a year then go bad? And whats the possibility of brand new one going bad along with all the problems I've been having so far. That really doesn't add up.

So any suggestions? Things to check?
sloppydogdrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Western\TXT PDS Cart jerks, slows down, eventually goes into limp mode or stops

Oh one last symptom. The cart will be going top speed, electric brake kicks in hard to the point it goes into limp mode for maybe 100 feet then takes of accelerating really fast to top speed and it's fine again for an undetermined period of time.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Western\TXT PDS Cart jerks, slows down, eventually goes into limp mode or stops

wow interesting issue you have heres. I have two westerns one that is a PDS ezgo system. I would post this in the ezgo section you'll get more views there because even though its a western its Ezgo drive system.

You've already done the controller not sure what else to look at besides something wrong with the motor. In your new post I would include your voltage and the model of controller and motor because western often replaced them.
Good luck
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
sloppydogdrool
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I know this is an old post. After a lot of fooling around turned out to be a loose wire on the speed sensor. Stupid butt connector.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts