lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Carryall 2 Charger???

CP this is why it is important to understand the difference. If you buy the charger that is used in conjunction with the OBC and you find the OBC has failed (which happens quite often) you now have a new charger that MUST be used with an OBC. So, now you have to buy a new OBC in order to charge with that charger.

Or, you can buy regular smart charger now since you have to buy a charger anyway. This would entail removal or bypass of the existing OBC. (No cost to do this)

Or, in this case, I would consider getting the charger from Luke (stand up guy, have dealt with him a lot) and see what happens.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Oops double post
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post

Yes, Luke and I are quite familiar with one another. He really is a stand-up guy . He only lives about an hour from me and i've spoken to him "once or twice" however, he's expressed his dissatisfaction in the maintenance of my road so won't be returning to my house

Thanks guys, I understand now. Half the charger (sensing portion and current control) is built into the OBC and the charger just basically outputs DC to the OBC to charge the batteries. I may just get a smart charger and bypass the OBC to prevent future issues should the OBC fail. The cart is nearly 20 years old so if there's a weak point that can be fixed now (with money I have to spend anyway) then it seems like a win. I may go with one of the smaller 10 or 15 amp ones, and build an enclosure to protect it from the elements and give it pseudo- "on-board charging". As long as it doesn't get wet from driving, and has room to breathe (cool itself) I think that would work out pretty well, and save the convenience of lugging around a 400lb box to charge the thing
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #14
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Carryall 2 Charger???

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post

Uh Oh. Looks like I’m in trouble now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #15
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
he's expressed his dissatisfaction in the maintenance of my road so won't be returning to my house

If you would only stop doing donuts in the golf cart out there... but seriously if you want that charger you can have it. I’m not sure if I have a cord for it though. But it might be worth the try for free.

LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
If you would only stop doing donuts in the golf cart out there... but seriously if you want that charger you can have it. I’m not sure if I have a cord for it though. But it might be worth the try for free.

Sounds like a plan. Like I said the other day, I'll be flying out of Savannah on the 24th for work (yeah have to travel on a Sunday). If you have a few minutes that afternoon, I can meet you over by the airport. I'll bring the DS cowl and I've been cleaning out my shop and found the bumper from my G9 you can have for the G2 boogie buggy as well.

Oh and I'll give you a handful of relays, I want to see that G2 move!
Old 02-12-2019, 03:53 PM   #17
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Uh Oh. Looks like I’m in trouble now!

Old 02-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just an update, picked up the cart yesterday. It's actually in very good condition, especially the price I paid for it! The batteries all appear to be 2017 and in very good condition. under 1200 hours on it (which seems pretty low for a 2001). All of them had a good amount of water, just over the plates. all of the cables are already 1/0 gauge cables in very good condition, and it runs/drives. I didn't drive it much, just onto the trailer, then off the trailer to the well for a quick douse with the pressure washer, and then parked it by the house. It was sitting at 48.5-49V before charging (I didn't let it rest after driving it, may have come up a bit more) and who even knows the last time it was charged before it was turned over from the city to the surplus yard. So I *think* the batteries should be good (knock on wood)

I picked up a cheap 5A charger from Amazon for now, until I can meet up with Luke in a couple weeks. I just disconnected the B+ and B- leads from the pack so it's charging the pack completely isolated from the cart. It's been charging all night, and still going now. I will keep fingers crossed the OBC is good and I can just plug in the OEM charger and go, but worst case I'll just pick up a better universal charger for it and bypass the OBC. I'll let you know how it turns out
Old 02-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car