lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #1
polesitter61
Not Yet Wild

Default 01 Club car rear end noise on deceleration

Specs:

01 Club Car DS
48v
Admiral MOT1 motor
Curtis controller
6" lift
22" tires

Cart runs fine, speed, torque, all that is there. No noise from the rear end under a load. But as soon as you let off the accelerator, or are "Coasting" the rear end starts to groan. I would explain it as a very mechanical almost gear mesh type of noise. I have had the rear end apart in the past when I install the new motor (couldn't get the old one to separate from the drive coupler) but that was months ago and I've had no problems up until this past weekend.

I use this car for hunting, so it's in and out of water constantly. Before I separate the differential housing again, I wanted to get some opinions. I did search the topic in the forum and saw some comments about motor recentering? Any help is appreciated, first post fellas!

Thanks,
John
polesitter61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 01 Club car rear end noise on deceleration

When you installed the new motor, did you put the motor bumper between the motor drive spline and the opening on the rear end?

Could be that simple....
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you’ve been in deep water drain the axle oil and see how it looks.

If the oil is clean, no milky watery appearance, and no glitter, You need a motor centering kit to take out the play in the splines between the motor coupler and axle input shaft.
It comes with a bearing, be sure to replace that while you have the motor out.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
polesitter61
Not Yet Wild

I don't recall the motor bumper you are referring to, what did it look like? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, been racing cars ect for over 20 years. I just remember the coupler.

I will drain the fluid and check it. Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It’s a little chunk of rubber that fits into the coupler. It just puts a little pressure on the motor armature to keep it from rattling on the input splines.
You probably wouldn’t have noticed it unless you know it’s there. It’s always covered in grease and rust and smashed down in the back of the coupler.

https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...ng-kit-am10039
https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...ng-kit-am10039
Old 03-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
polesitter61
Not Yet Wild

Diff lube was clean, no water, not metal. So I guess I'll order the centering kit. What is the best way to get that bearing out of the housing? Will I have to split the housing to get it out?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It’s on the end of the motor armature.

But if that’s a brand new motor you won’t need the bearing. Just install the rest of the kit.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
polesitter61
Not Yet Wild

So I got the centering kit installed, and it did take away the grinding noise on deceleration. But now is makes what I would call a "Sandpaper" noise all the time, that goes with engine, wheel speed. I spun the wheels and worked the differential with the motor out, and had no noise. I believe it must be a motor noise on my less than 1 year old Admiral MOT A1. The rubber bumper was not in the coupler when I took it apart. I was thinking about taking the centering kit out and leaving just the bumper in to see what it does?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The kit should be installed in order on the input shaft: round washer, spring, spline washer, spline bushing. The bumper goes inside the coupler with the notch points facing out. Is that how you installed it?
The spring should put a little pressure on the armature but not enough to cause any noise I don’t think. How much have you driven it since installing the kit?
Sand paper noise is more like the sound you might get from newbrushes seating in, Perhaps the armature has just enough pressure to change the seating of the brushes? If so the noise should go away or at least lessen within about 15-20 minutes of riding.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
polesitter61
Not Yet Wild

That's that order I installed it, I called revolution before I installed to confirm. The brushes were my initial thought also, I only drove it for about 5 minutes after the install. It seems more pronounced than brushes in my opinion. But my electric motor experience is limited to building my own radio controlled car electric motors back in the day. Same principle, smaller scale. I'm going to pull the motor back out tonight and investigate more.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car