lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Low Speed Vehicle laws in North Carolina

I tried to get a golf cart ordinance in my town approved, but the Council decided to "take it under advisement" which means that they are not going to do anything. So... I thought I would try to see about possibly going the Low Speed Vehicle route.

I've been trying to get info from the NCDOT and NCDMV, but does anyone have any experience with this in NC or have any info about the following:

1. Does a city/town need to have a LSV ordinance or can you drive a registered LSV on any road marked 35 mph or less?

2. How difficult is the process for obtaining a VIN, certificate of origin, safety inspection, etc.?

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: Low Speed Vehicle laws in North Carolina

I was finally able to talk with a DMV Inspector and he said that I cannot convert my golf cart into a Low Speed Vehicle in North Carolina.

To have an LSV in this state, you must purchase one that was designed and manufactured to be an LSV as it must have passed federal DOT manufacturer's safety regulations.

Bummer.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Low Speed Vehicle laws in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonr3 View Post
I was finally able to talk with a DMV Inspector and he said that I cannot convert my golf cart into a Low Speed Vehicle in North Carolina.

To have an LSV in this state, you must purchase one that was designed and manufactured to be an LSV as it must have passed federal DOT manufacturer's safety regulations.

Bummer.
Register it as one with a LSV designation. No cop in the world is going to know the differences in models and makes. I’m half kidding half not. You’re a licensed driver in NC and are being told you cannot drive on a neighborhood street because some Bureaucrat who believes they need to regulate everything including how the sun rises and sets tells you that you cannot drive on the same streets you could with a car? Register the thing as a SMV LSV and get a vin and go do a donut on city hall lawn. EFF THEM. Cart haters can go pound sand.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car