lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Madamx
Not Yet Wild

Talking Wiring lights on a 3 battery 36v club car

Quick question just to confirm, I have a 85 club car ds, I picked up some 12v halogen lights from harbor freight that came with a switch for on/off. I was looking up how to wire and most folks have the 6 or 8 batteries vs my 3 12s. Question is do I just hook the lights up to one of my batteries and that’s it? No reducer or doing in series or anything? Thank you very much!!
Madamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #2
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Wiring lights on a 3 battery 36v club car

Halogen will be a hard drain on one battery , but yes you can pick a battery and it will work ...BUT , you should get a 36 to 12 volt reducer from Scotty B....

or add a 12 volt battery somewhere and use it just for accessories... which you would have to charge separate of course
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
Madamx
Not Yet Wild

Wink Re: Wiring lights on a 3 battery 36v club car

Hmm, I can take those back and get led. Would that be ok on one battery or should I still go with the reduced? Thank you very much!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:15 AM   #4
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

wont be as bad but the voltage reducer is the way to go......long term anyway ,
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #5
JBritt1997
Not Yet Wild

I made this mistake on my cart, LED lights are the way to go and the reducer will save your battery in the long run.
JBritt1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
Madamx
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both!
Old 08-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Kinda depends how much the lights draw, and how long you need to use them for.
If you only need a small light for 10-15 minutes to drive to the edge of the field and back, you can get by with connecting one light to one battery, and it will have minimal long term effect.

A reducer is the best way if you need lots of light, or ever need them for more than a few minutes at a time. Having a long duration draw will cause a higher demand on whichever battery the light(s) are hooked to, and eventually pull that battery out of balance with the rest of the pack. That one battery will be chronically undercharged, and lead to sulfation of the plates, where the other two will generally be overcharged during charging. Plate sulfation will drastically reduce the overall capacity of the battery, leading to an early failure. Slightly overcharging them does not cause nearly as much issue as undercharging, and is actually used to remove sulfation from the plates and bring the cells of the battery into balance with each other.

In theory, having 3 equal lights, one hooked up to each battery, should cause equal draw on all three, assuming they are all three used for the same amount of time every time.

LEDs are also IMO the best option since they tend to draw less power from the batteries than an equal sized halogen.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madamx View Post
Hmm, I can take those back and get led. Would that be ok on one battery or should I still go with the reduced? Thank you very much!
Many LED's are rated for higher voltages. You may find you can use the whole pack voltage. They will pull way less amps than the halogens.
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:57 AM   #9
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

As Hunter450 said, most LEDs can handle 36V so just connect them across your whole pack. It will save the pack from getting unbalanced and your lights will be brighter.

Check the LEDs that you buy and see if they give a voltage range. If they say 12V only then they are probably fitted with a resistor which is specifically designed to limit the voltage they use.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car