lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Incredible wiring

My wiring set turned out incredible.

I got 20 4 guage wires. Fit my 91 marathon perfectly.

EACH CABLE IS HYDRAULIC CRIMPED WITH 5/16" TINNED COPPER LUGS ON EACH END.
EACH CABLE IS BUILT FROM CENTER TO CENTER OF LUG HOLES.
CABLE USED FOR BUILDING IS HEAVY DUTY EPDM 105C WELDING CABLE MADE IN U.S.A.
EACH CRIMPED END IS COVERED IN 3:1 HEAT SHRINK
STRANDING IS: 624 STRANDS OF BARE COPPER
RESISTANCE TO (FLAME, OIL, GREASE SOLVENTS, OZONE AND ABRASION.(ROHS COMPLIANCE)
AMPS: 200
600 VOLTS.

Thanks
Newbuggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Incredible wiring

Sounds like it should be nice [emoji1303]
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
Sounds like it should be nice [emoji1303]
I'm hoping. This is what impressed me:

624 STRANDS OF BARE COPPER
RESISTANCE TO (FLAME, OIL, GREASE SOLVENTS, OZONE AND ABRASION.(ROHS COMPLIANCE)
Old 09-17-2019, 02:38 AM   #4
EvilSpirit1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

My "realist" voice says to buy a pre terminated 4ga cable kit and be done with it. Then that loud obnoxious "creative" voice steps in and starts whining about making a custom 2ga set with dedicated cable colors and markings. I think both of them need better medications.
EvilSpirit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:14 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dont mean to be a jerk, but that's what pretty much what I consider "standard issue" for anything that's not "cheapest stock replacement" (those "cheapest" can be allowed standard 6g cable, crimped & soldered as above, only for "economy purpose jobs" where the customer demands not a extra dime be spent, like apartment complexes who would demand a full cart restoration to new for about $200 total, lol). Except not "hydraulic crimped", I use manual crimp before I solder them, with hammer & anvil style. All of the jobs get soldered & heatshrink when I do them. I'm more than happy to make a cable, any size/length for anyone who walks in the door, if you can wait a minute while I make it (any size we stock, might not have bigger than 2g in longer lengths sometimes, since 4 & 2 are the sizes we use & stock most). If you want custom colors, best I offer is "red heatshrink" on one, or both ends. "You can have any color cable you want, as long as it's black" (about like Mr. Ford once said).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #6
EvilSpirit1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbuggyboy View Post
My wiring set turned out incredible.

I got 20 4 guage wires. Fit my 91 marathon perfectly.

EACH CABLE IS HYDRAULIC CRIMPED WITH 5/16" TINNED COPPER LUGS ON EACH END.
EACH CABLE IS BUILT FROM CENTER TO CENTER OF LUG HOLES.
CABLE USED FOR BUILDING IS HEAVY DUTY EPDM 105C WELDING CABLE MADE IN U.S.A.
EACH CRIMPED END IS COVERED IN 3:1 HEAT SHRINK
STRANDING IS: 624 STRANDS OF BARE COPPER
AMPS: 200
600 VOLTS.

Thanks
That looks like the description from the A/C D/C Wire listings on Ebay. That company is only about 40 miles from me and I used to buy bulk cable from them when I worked in the area - our local cart shop carries their kits. Nice pieces.

But . . . When I was looking at their Ebay listings I noticed their specs didn't always match their descriptions. Their cable sets, like most, are built from class K welding cable - pretty much industry standard. That grade typically carries a 100a rating for the 374 strand 4ga and a 140a rating for the 624 strand 2ga. The 624 strand cable is used in the 2ga kits, not the 4ga. Also, they show a 200a rating for a 4ga cable? Even a 2ga premium grade M cable - with 1666 strands - is only rated at 190a. Specs don't add up.

All that said, even 4ga standard grade (welding) cable sets are an upgrade from the 6ga stockers, and should work fine for a stock or slightly modded 36v cart. I hope the cost of the kit properly reflected the quality of the parts that you received.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #7
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSpirit1 View Post
That looks like the description from the A/C D/C Wire listings on Ebay. That company is only about 40 miles from me and I used to buy bulk cable from them when I worked in the area - our local cart shop carries their kits. Nice pieces.

But . . . When I was looking at their Ebay listings I noticed their specs didn't always match their descriptions. Their cable sets, like most, are built from class K welding cable - pretty much industry standard. That grade typically carries a 100a rating for the 374 strand 4ga and a 140a rating for the 624 strand 2ga. The 624 strand cable is used in the 2ga kits, not the 4ga. Also, they show a 200a rating for a 4ga cable? Even a 2ga premium grade M cable - with 1666 strands - is only rated at 190a. Specs don't add up.

All that said, even 4ga standard grade (welding) cable sets are an upgrade from the 6ga stockers, and should work fine for a stock or slightly modded 36v cart. I hope the cost of the kit properly reflected the quality of the parts that you received.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Dont mean to be a jerk, but that's what pretty much what I consider "standard issue" for anything that's not "cheapest stock replacement" (those "cheapest" can be allowed standard 6g cable, crimped & soldered as above, only for "economy purpose jobs" where the customer demands not a extra dime be spent, like apartment complexes who would demand a full cart restoration to new for about $200 total, lol). Except not "hydraulic crimped", I use manual crimp before I solder them, with hammer & anvil style. All of the jobs get soldered & heatshrink when I do them. I'm more than happy to make a cable, any size/length for anyone who walks in the door, if you can wait a minute while I make it (any size we stock, might not have bigger than 2g in longer lengths sometimes, since 4 & 2 are the sizes we use & stock most). If you want custom colors, best I offer is "red heatshrink" on one, or both ends. "You can have any color cable you want, as long as it's black" (about like Mr. Ford once said).
I had bought some before there that were 2 gauge neon green. When I contacted them about this new set they gave me those specs. Which I recognized as similar to the 2 gauge.

So what did I get? 2 gauge in a 4 gauge, 6 gauge in a 4 gauge, or ????

EvilSpirit1 didn't you see the price? $96 for a 2 gauge set. Since I request 4 gauge. It was cheaper.

Edit note: I also put elsewhere I bought colored wire loom
Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 AM   #8
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post

You're never a jerk. How else do you expect us rookies to learn without be told? What should 4 gauge specs look like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire gauge.jpg (76.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
EvilSpirit1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

That chart is probably for "class K' welding cable. There is a "class M" cable that has better insulation and finer strands for higher current capacity.

I've been dealing with a company called Wire And Cable Your Way that has great pricing and sells welding cable by the foot. Their standard grade class k cable is available in 5-6 colors and is about $1 a foot for 4ga and $1.50 for 2ga. The premium grade with the finer strand wires is only available in orange and is about $1.50 for 4ga and $2.20 for 2ga.

I build battery cables the same way as cgtech. Tinned eyelets, mechanically crimped, soldered, and heat shrink protected.

As far as what you have? If the cable isn't labelled (they often are) I guess only the box markings and invoice will tell you what you have, unless you want to get out the calipers and try to match up the diameters, or dissect one and start counting strands.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #10
Newbuggyboy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This picture was in the other thread also.

Looks like 4 gauge. Carolprene 4 ga welding cable 600 volt made in USA c14f 31016 105°. Someone said 140 amps.

I'm happy with less than $4 a cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190918_225436.jpg (160.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190918_225507.jpg (150.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO