lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
garolittle
Not Yet Wild

Default Wiring Question: EZ-GO Pot Box Throttle (1989 - 1994) and a Curtis Controller 1236SE

Thanks for a great forum. I actually have an electric go kart but I am switching to the EZ-GO Pot Box Throttle (1989 - 1994) for use with my Curtis Controller 1236SE. I know that the throttle box wire indicated below with a red arrow connects to the "Throttle Pot Wiper" and "Pot Low" pins on the Curtis controller but I could not find a good diagram showing were all the other throttle wires connect. Very sorry for the basic question but this is my first experience with an EZ-GO throttle box. Thanks for any help you can offer. Gary
Attached Images
File Type: png Pot box throttle.png (139.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png curtis controller pins.png (89.3 KB, 0 views)
garolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring Question: EZ-GO Pot Box Throttle (1989 - 1994) and a Curtis Controller 123

The 4 wire pot has 2 wires for the throttle signal typically blue and brown?
The second pair reduce the signal by 50% when they are connected to one another usually by a switch like a reverse activated micro-switch

Your use require only the signal wires to be connected. The other reduced output wires need not be used. Simply tape them out of the way or cut them off and seal with liquid tape.

Use your ohm Ω meter to determine which pair is the throttle signal before proceeding

The switch wires can be used to power up the solenoid and controller
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
garolittle
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Wiring Question: EZ-GO Pot Box Throttle (1989 - 1994) and a Curtis Controller 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The 4 wire pot has 2 wires for the throttle signal typically blue and brown?
The second pair reduce the signal by 50% when they are connected to one another usually by a switch like a reverse activated micro-switch

Your use require only the signal wires to be connected. The other reduced output wires need not be used. Simply tape them out of the way or cut them off and seal with liquid tape.

Use your ohm Ω meter to determine which pair is the throttle signal before proceeding

The switch wires can be used to power up the solenoid and controller
Yes Sir. Thanks so much for the response. I made a 2-minute video showing my set up. Click below ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip-SWbU70TY

I am only using the "signal wires" as you stated. As you see at the end of the video, I am getting the 5 volts as expected but for some reason there is no "Throttle Command" signal on the Curtis Controller software screen. Do you see anything that I need to correct in terms of wiring? I am probably missing something obvious and I do appreciate your attempt to help. Do you see anything that I need to correct? Thanks.
Gary Little, Augusta, GA
Old 12-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You will have to wait for one of the Curtis techs to come along for assistance with that control.
I have not seen that pot in 5v configuration. These are usually 0-5000 Ω or 5000-0 Ω. Whatever the output is the controller must be on the same range or it will not see the signal. hope this helps, GL.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
garolittle
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You will have to wait for one of the Curtis techs to come along for assistance with that control. GL.
Yes sir. I appreciate your help. I have a dragstrip event coming up this Saturday. Do you mind letting me know one of the Curtis controller experts on this forum that I can contact? You can send me a PM if you don’t mind. Sorry for the urgency. I should’ve resolve this issue before now. Thank you again for trying to help. Gary, Augusta, GA.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
garolittle
Not Yet Wild

So I just found the solution with the help of a local expert. Putting my son to bed now but will post the solution soon. I enjoy learning so this was a good exercise for me. This forum is awesome so I appriciate the attempts people made to help. Special thanks to Scotty!
Old 12-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
garolittle
Not Yet Wild

Problem solved. I connected the "NC" wire from the throttle pot box to the "Interlock" switch on the Curtis Controller (Pin# and the "COM" wire from the throttle pot box to the forward/neutral/reverse switch (i.e. the physical switch that you flip up and down). I did not need to use the "Pot High (Pin #15) on the Curtis Controller since this is a 2-wire throttle pot box. Other issues unrelated to the pot box were that my CANBUS settings on the Orion Jr. BMS were not correct and I had set the Regenerative Braking to 0% on the Curtis Controller software. All is working well now so hopefully it will be a good day at the drag strip this Saturday. Thanks for everyone who tried to help. By the way, check us out at www.VenomKarts.com. Thanks! Gary
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO