lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
ejallison1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G9 ELectric 36V Hard Acceleration Prob

Need help diagnosing what the problem is with this (1991) G9 electric. When initially pressing the accelerator it takes off like a jack rabbit (wide open throttle) instead of a nice smooth controlled acceleration. This problem started suddenly. If press the accelerator from a dead stop it will squeal the tires.

In researching this I am thinking it has something to do with either the mechanical speed controller or the "throttle sensor". Fairly mechanical but am definitely a newbie on these carts so if I am on the wrong path or need to consider another potential problem I'm all ears.

The leading edge of the metal piece on the arm that moves when the accelerator is pressed is slightly burgered but does not have any arcing on the contact areas. The cables that run from the speed controller to the different points on the large resistor coil that sits in the middle of the battery bay seem good. Is it possible that either the big resistor coil itself has fried or that the clamps that are the attachment points have given out.

I don't know where the throttle sensor is located but according to the electrical schematic from Yamaha it is suppose to have one. Could the throttle sensor cause this type of problem? How do you test it?

I am thinking the big solenoid that passes current to the speed controller is not the problem since it is passing current?

I can find the metal contact pads for the speed controller but if the resistor coil itself needs replaced where can I get one or are they unobtanium.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
ejallison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G9 ELectric 36V Hard Acceleration Prob

The arm is moving smoothly? If you have resistor coils, you have no "speed sensor".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
ejallison1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks-one less potential problem not having a throttle sensor!

The arm seems to move smoothly. I ordered the movable arm and the metal pad that is attached-should arrive in a couple of days. As I said there is a small burgered up area on the leading edge of the metal pad on the moveable arm- can I put that on a wire wheel to clean it up a bit.

I'm guessing that if the above doesn't cure it then the coil itself or the resistor studs may be bad? Am going to recheck the cables again. Also put it back up in the air and have a helper help with the accelerator petal and get some readings with the multimeter at each resistor stud.

Any suggestions on what to check greatly appreciated!
ejallison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dont allow the motor to spin at full speed with the wheels up in the air (no load). The motor can be destroyed by over revving.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha