lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
localbar
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Underbody LED on RXV

My kids got me a set of the LED GLOW underbody LED’s for Christmas. I have the same set on my Gas cart but I am concerned about them drawing battery when the cart is not in use.

I have 4 12v batteries and I will be installing a voltage reducer but wanted to know if I should install a switch between the led and voltage reducer or am I fine to connect it without a switch.

The unit is powered on by a remote fob or by pressing the button on the LED control box (which no one does becasue it’s usually installed under the front bench seat. Being that it can be powered on by the remote fob makes me believe it has to be drawing some power to receive the signal and turn on?

My concern is in the winter the battery level can drop and freeze over. I suppose I can disconnect it when it’s in storage or is this not a concern at all?

I want to do it right but I am not a fan of visible switches.

Thanks.
localbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Underbody LED on RXV

Well couple things... you should keep your cart on trickle charge over the winter, as batteries will lose charge if your not doing changing manually. I'm sure the draw would be nominal if there is any of significance the trickle charge will accommodate. you can install that switch before the lead makes it to the reducer under the seat, if you're concerned about 1. visible switches and 2. any chance of drawing too much power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by localbar View Post
My kids got me a set of the LED GLOW underbody LED’s for Christmas. I have the same set on my Gas cart but I am concerned about them drawing battery when the cart is not in use.

I have 4 12v batteries and I will be installing a voltage reducer but wanted to know if I should install a switch between the led and voltage reducer or am I fine to connect it without a switch.

The unit is powered on by a remote fob or by pressing the button on the LED control box (which no one does becasue it’s usually installed under the front bench seat. Being that it can be powered on by the remote fob makes me believe it has to be drawing some power to receive the signal and turn on?

My concern is in the winter the battery level can drop and freeze over. I suppose I can disconnect it when it’s in storage or is this not a concern at all?

I want to do it right but I am not a fan of visible switches.

Thanks.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Underbody LED on RXV

Please read up on the difference between "trickle charge", and "float charge". The difference can be big enough to mess up your batteries while sitting. "Trickle" doesnt have a pre-set max voltage (which could be in the area where your batteries are consuming fluid). "Float" will never allow the batteries to get to "gassing voltage", where fluid is consumed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO