lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
fairguy
Not Yet Wild

Default 1993 Club Car DS Resisitor Hot

I have a 1993 Club Car DS 36V I got from a friend whose batteries were stolen. I'm 100% sure it was running fine before the batteries were stolen. (I drove it). I installed new batteries & heavy gauge cables. As soon as I put the new cable from the + side of the battery to the solenoid, the resistor jumping the large terminals got smoking hot. Solenoid clicks & cart still runs forward & reverse. I removed all the connections from the controller & motor, cleaned & reinstalled them. Resistor still gets smoking hot as soon as the + cable is put on. What is making the resistor so hot?
fairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
fairguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1993 Club Car DS Resisitor Hot

Change solenoid today to see if by chance that could have been the problem. Resistor got smoking hot again please help!!
Old 04-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I believe this happens when there is an internal short in the controller. Try disconnecting the B+ cable from the controller and see if the issue goes away.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:43 AM   #4
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairguy View Post
Change solenoid today to see if by chance that could have been the problem. Resistor got smoking hot again please help!!
Resistor is hot because somewhere downstream from the Solenoid is a short (or at least a load).

First, let me clarify, your cart is a cart with an electronic (solid state) controller and not a "resistor" cart? If the latter, there should not be a resistor on the Solenoid. Posted wiring diagrams suggest CC made BOTH types in 1993.

The resistor is there to allow enough (small amount of) electricity to 'leak' around the solenoid when the solenoid switch is open to keep capacitors inside controller charged.

If the cart is wired correctly, the problem almost has to be within the controller. With pedal up, key off, there should not be any load beyond the controller to draw amps.

How many and what color wires do you have on each of the large terminals on the solenoid?
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:04 AM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I have never run across this problem, but I think Jake and Rockford have narrowed it down.

The only other thing I can think of is perhaps a faulty or wrong resistor on the solenoid.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
fairguy
Not Yet Wild

My cart doesn't have the big resistor coils, so I'm thinking it's the solid state drive. I removed the yellow B+ cable running from the solenoid to controller. Resistor is no longer hot. Yellow wire has a gash in it & the wires inside look melted. Could that be the problem? I will change cable today & post. Cart runs forward & reverse ok, so I'm hoping the controller may be good. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yep, definitely replace that cable. And yes, you have one of the rare 36v series solid state controller carts.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #8
fairguy
Not Yet Wild

Changed the cable that was melted. Resistor still getting hot. I'm afraid I will have to change the controller now. So much for a cheap golf cart 😒. Hopefully "rare" doesn't mean expensive lol.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairguy View Post
Changed the cable that was melted. Resistor still getting hot. I'm afraid I will have to change the controller now. So much for a cheap golf cart 😒. Hopefully "rare" doesn't mean expensive lol.
Nope, not any more expensive than the others. It's just that CC didn't make too many of the 36v series carts. Look at the SR line of the Alltrax controllers. The 300 amp model would be a drop in replacement for your cart.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #10
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to the forum Chris! Your at the right place for golf cart information brother. These guys are great! They've taught me most of what I know about carts. The rest I learned the hard way! [emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car