lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2020, 09:25 PM   #1
Robbiecaud
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Burning Smell HELP

While driving our cart this evening we begin to notice a electrical burning smell. We pulled over lifted up the seat only to find smoke coming off the positive terminal of the first battery. The cart was recently in the shop to have the USB repaired. Not sure if this cable has anything to do with it but the terminal was loose. We let it cool down, tightened, drove it home. Can anyone tell me what they believe this goes to? The battery wire seem to burn and indention in the battery itself too. I traced it back and the small red wire appears to go to the charging input port. See pics attached.

I’m going to call the dealership tomorrow as the batteries have an 18 month warranty and the cart is a six month warranty but just curious if any of you have ever had this experience before and could help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A96B3EBB-56B7-4F06-89AF-CDB3F01C2B4F.jpg (242.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 534DBFF5-5CCF-4348-82B4-44486F5D8ED1.jpg (256.9 KB, 0 views)
Robbiecaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2020, 09:45 PM   #2
genoz
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Burning Smell HELP

I had the same thing happen with a loose cable. Apparently the loose connection heats up and melts the terminate on the battery.
genoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
Dmopar74
Not Yet Wild

The battery cable should be on the bottom of that stack of wires, not on top. Good way to melt the battery post the way it is
Dmopar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:43 AM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Burning Smell HELP

Always put the battery cables on first. Always check the nuts to make sure they are all tight.

Loose nuts cause heat. Heat causes melting and performance loss. Check the rest of the battery connections and make sure they are all snug. Don't over do it though, torque range is around 9 ft pounds.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yup, yup and yup to the above responses.

#--Heavy cable goes on terminal first...always
#--Lose cable will spark as energy is trying to go where demanded. The lose cable is only "touching" the terminal in less than half the surface it is when the terminal is tight. Lots of energy going thru a "funnel" will cause heat and damage.
#--Finally, from the looks of that cable I'd replace at least that one. The cable attachment is now burnt and the looks of the wire between the connector and wire sheathing....the wire appears to have some corrosion on it.

Replace the cable and make sure there is heat shrink between the cable connector and the cable to avoid future cable corrosion and loss of the carts ability to draw power.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I'm going to guess that the shop disconnected the battery cable while repairing the usb then forgot to tighten it. If dealer doesn't know enough to stack the cables properly I'd be leery of their other work.
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
Robbiecaud
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

that was it! insane. i have switched out all my cables myself. problem solved.
Robbiecaud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burn, smell, wires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO