lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Powerwise charger issues

Okay here is what I have and have gone through the trouble shooting guide and a little foggy. Charger is not working but comes on and tries. 30 volts DC coming out. Checked the diodes and they are good. Pulled wires from diodes and like 70-71 volts. Too low. Disconnected capacitor and now get 65. From what I have found bad capacitor.. Sound reasonable? Cap is 20MFD 370 volts. Do I have to buy the $30 Ezgo one or will a standard one work?

TIA
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise charger issues

Those voltages indicate a bad capacitor. The without cap is on the upper edge of the spec and the with cap is well below the 83VAC to 93VAC spec.

Find a MOTOR RUN capacitor with those values at your local HVAC parts place. If you can find the same µf in a higher voltage get it. The open circuit voltage on the capacitor leads is 480VAC, but I've never measured it with a good cap connected.

Be sure to get the motor run version, it is for continuous operation while motor start caps are only for intermittent duty.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thank you sir. I have attached the pics of the one called for and another similar. $33 vs $15
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DF78E594-E649-4CF1-B54C-0079CF3E9661.jpg (75.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 83B855C2-0A69-4D6F-9509-99040B809510.jpeg (44.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Thank you sir. I have attached the pics of the one called for and another similar. $33 vs $15
I'd make the $15 one fit, has higher voltage too.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:58 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If it isn't too much trouble, measure the voltage on the cap when installed.
I'm curious.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

On the top of the current cap? AC one lead per leg? I can try that once I fix the main board.. White AC wire pulled out of the board when I was testing I think it goes to just one circuit on the board but plan on soldering it back in and checking again.. Bad connection caused it to overheat and messed up the joint.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
On the top of the current cap? AC one lead per leg? I can try that once I fix the main board.. White AC wire pulled out of the board when I was testing I think it goes to just one circuit on the board but plan on soldering it back in and checking again.. Bad connection caused it to overheat and messed up the joint.
AC, one test lead per leg on top of the new cap. (Old one too if possible)

The white AC wire from the power cord on the board is just a feed through to one of the black wires going to the transformer's primary. The power cord's black wire goes to the other black wire on the transform primary via the relay.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

You got it sir. Once I get a new cap and resolder the board I will get you those numbers. From looking at the bottom of the board it appears it runs over to the relay as well
Old 05-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

All I've seen is pictures of the top and bottom of PW control boards, but I'm pretty sure the runs from the AC wires go to MOVs. There does appear to be one run connected to a corner post of the relay that indirectly goes to both the white AC wire and the Green AC wire via MOVs.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Update.. Soldered the board. Got a new cap from a local parts house for $11. Was a little larger in size but same 20MFD and 480 volts. Disconnected cap got 65 volts on wires going to the diodes, cap installed got 90. More better. Checked for voltage going to the cap both with wires disconnected and connected and they never settled so didn’t get a reading there. Jumped solenoid and was getting 44 going to the cord. Put it all back together and charging again. Thanks jb
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO