lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
Mike2015
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO RXV Throttle problems

I have en ezgo RXV that is giving me trouble intermittently. Carts runs fine at times and then sometimes stalls out as you accelerate. Mapped throttle seems to come up fine, and when it stops or does not run throttle command drops to 0%. They are even when the cart is running fine. Anyone have any thoughts of things to check?
Mike2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: EZGO RXV Throttle problems

Catch it in the "current faults" section of the programmer while its failing, if you get "throttle zero check" it's probably the grey button on the gas pedal failing.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
MJBennettInc
Not Yet Wild

I cant seem to get any present faults, I will check again tomorrow. I also have another one that stopped, 1 battery failed discharge, they were 4 years old so I replaced the set. It stopped a bit later, with the braking parameters going wild so I replaced rheostat on brake pedal, ran fine all weekend, got a call it did it again and when she cycled the pedal it would work again. I cant get it to mess up again, but I am thinking pedal is not fully returning or the 5 volt reference on the accel switch is bad. Any insight on that? I normally don't get stumped, its just one of those weeks.
MJBennettInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:02 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

RXVs will have you chasing your tail for weeks if you're not careful. Do you have a handheld? Ignore anything it says about the throttle. There's more to that circuit than the sensor in the pedal group. If you get 'throttle wiper' it's often not that at all, it's that stupid speed sensor in the motor that goes bad. Also will cause a stalled condition. When it fails, it's part of the same circuit that also includes the throttle and brake encoders in the pedal group. Any one of those failing will cause 'throttle wiper'. Mapped/command throttle is the symptom. Any error in the circuit will make it go to 0%.

'HPD or High Pedal Disable' is usually the throttle pedal not returning fully. These pedal groups are bad about dirt entering in them and the springs are not very good. I usually put a strong throttle return spring in there (drilling a small hole in the pedal assembly and running a couple of those to the plastic) to overcome that.

The EZGO RXV's error symptom is 'lock her up tighter than a drum at speed and give owner whiplash' or more accurately, it is 'vehicle disabled' which means full e-brake on the motor lock-up. The RXV is a touchy beast not even with a properly designed limp-home mode, unlike any other cart such as a Yamaha or Club Car. 90% of the things that lock up an RXV shouldn't if EZGO designed them properly.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
MJBennettInc
Not Yet Wild

Okay so I get an HPD fault, which I can take care of. It had a Wiper fault but I cleared fault history and can not get to return. It wants to go sometimes and other times not. Mapped throttle goes up correctly, throttle command will sit at zero (no movement) and then jump to even with mapped throttle and cart will go. It is intermittent on when or how it will go. It also seems that the brake light circuit turns on when it fails to go.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

That's the controllers way of indicating "brake test failed" usually.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
MJBennettInc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
That's the controllers way of indicating "brake test failed" usually.
Should I pull brake and inspect it?
Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Its gonna look & smell like a brake. Visual inspection on those only shows signs of damage long after the brake is beyond its service life.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
MJBennettInc
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Its gonna look & smell like a brake. Visual inspection on those only shows signs of damage long after the brake is beyond its service life.
I can throw on a new brake, just trying to figure out if I should head down that path or if there is something else I should be looking for that I am missing.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
MJBennettInc
Not Yet Wild

New brake same issue.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO