lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
Ducttape12
Not Yet Wild

Default Cut reverse buzzer now limp mode RXV

New member here. I have a 48v rxv and I decided to bypass the reverse buzzer. I didn’t put it in limp mode, completely my fault. Between cutting it and getting a wire connector out of the garage. My wife came out and turned the key on and tried running it not knowing what I had done. I reconnected the black and red wire bypassing the reverse buzzer.
So I turn the key back on and it only goes 1mph in forward and no reverse. It ran perfect minutes before this buzzer bypass. I know I did this to myself. I usually like to learn the hard way. Do we believe I fried something in the Curtis controller? Any other thoughts? I do appreciate y’all.
Ducttape12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2021, 06:24 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cut reverse buzzer now limp mode RXV

Why did you connect the black and red ? All you had to do was cut either the red or the black to disable the beeper. If you still have the red and black connected, disconnect them. You're putting pack voltage into pin 2 of the controller. I don't know what the ramifications of that might be, but it doesn't sound like a good plan. Disconnect red and black, tape them up, see if that cures the situation. Not sure what the effect of that is. Or what it may have damaged.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #3
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

There is a very good chance you destroyed the controller doing that. Never cut or splice wires on a RXV. That's one of the biggest no no's. The reverse buzzer can be turned off with a Curtis handheld or a Curtis Programming Station.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:29 PM   #4
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pin 2 is a 48v ground. The red to the beeper is 48v+. Connecting the 2 should have created a dead short. I don't know enough about the inner workings of the controller to know if there is a safeguard against this, or MAYBE there is and that's why the crawl mode.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #5
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Everything I have read on this board cautions against removing the reverse buzzer on an RXV. Apparently the controller will be damaged just by removing it. I would hook the buzzer back up and see if that helps.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:17 PM   #6
Ducttape12
Not Yet Wild

Thank y’all so far for the help. I figured two wires went into the buzzer and when power runs through those wires it buzzes. If I connected the two it would just simply bypass it. Guess I was wrong. Haha. I reconnected the buzzer and it works but still no reverse and 1mph in forward. I bought a new Curtis controller off of EBay for $450. Was cheaper than even a rebuild. I’m guessing that’s my next step unless y’all recommend me trying or testing something else. Buzzer will be hooked back up. Might just spray some foam in it. Unless that will mess it up some how.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #7
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducttape12 View Post
Thank y’all so far for the help. I figured two wires went into the buzzer and when power runs through those wires it buzzes. If I connected the two it would just simply bypass it. Guess I was wrong. Haha. I reconnected the buzzer and it works but still no reverse and 1mph in forward. I bought a new Curtis controller off of EBay for $450. Was cheaper than even a rebuild. I’m guessing that’s my next step unless y’all recommend me trying or testing something else. Buzzer will be hooked back up. Might just spray some foam in it. Unless that will mess it up some how.
Just put a piece of duct tape over it.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #8
bdserv
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
There is a very good chance you destroyed the controller doing that. Never cut or splice wires on a RXV. That's one of the biggest no no's. The reverse buzzer can be turned off with a Curtis handheld or a Curtis Programming Station.
So, if the buzzer fails open, your $450 controller is destroyed. That's like having the ECM in your car destroy itself if a headlamp burns out.
bdserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #9
Ducttape12
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdserv View Post
So, if the buzzer fails open, your $450 controller is destroyed. That's like having the ECM in your car destroy itself if a headlamp burns out.
That’s what I thought too. Seems crazy fragile. In addition to what y’all said, two Ezgo dealers told me the same thing and said I probably fried the controller. I figured I’d ask y’all as well in case they were just trying to sell me a new controller at $1200. I’m going to resolder the two wires back to the buzzer wires to make sure they don’t come undone.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:03 PM   #10
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

No. An open fries nothing. Shorting wires together does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO