lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
DirtDiggler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Please help! Brakes dont work after replacing 81 G1

I just replaced my very worn out brake shoes with new ones. The old ones would stop, just not very well. After replacing I cant get the new ones to make contact with the drum enough to even tell you are pushing the brake pedal. I have searched all the forums, looked at all the parts breakdowns and my cart appears to NOT have the screw with the star adjuster- and there is not a place for it!. There is a bolt that goes through the pivot mechanism but it appears that it has to be slightly loose for the mechanism to slide or only one side of the brakes work. The only adjustment I have found is by turning the bolt at the top pivot which seems to only move the shoes a tiny bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DirtDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Please help! Brakes dont work after replacing 81 G1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDiggler View Post
I just replaced my very worn out brake shoes with new ones. The old ones would stop, just not very well. After replacing I cant get the new ones to make contact with the drum enough to even tell you are pushing the brake pedal. I have searched all the forums, looked at all the parts breakdowns and my cart appears to NOT have the screw with the star adjuster- and there is not a place for it!. There is a bolt that goes through the pivot mechanism but it appears that it has to be slightly loose for the mechanism to slide or only one side of the brakes work. The only adjustment I have found is by turning the bolt at the top pivot which seems to only move the shoes a tiny bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes the adjuster is the bolt at the top. As you turn it in, it pushes the upper part of the brake shoes toward the drum. I recomend loosening the brake cable equilizer (at the brake pedal), adjust the brake shoes so there is alittle "drag" when installing and turning the drum. Then adjust the equilizer so the brake pedal locks on the first or second "catch" to your preferance. Also like to rough up the brake linings and drum surfaces with 90 grit sandpaper. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
DirtDiggler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks- but, regardless of where the top adjuster is at, the brakes dont seem to even touch the drums!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
DirtDiggler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Also, the bottom spring seems to be looser than I would expect; seems as if the equalizer needs to be wider and then everything would work.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Also, the bottom spring seems to be looser than I would expect; seems as if the equalizer needs to be wider and then everything would work.
Did you order J10 brake shoes? Not J17/J55 style shoes? Maybe the adjuster is bad?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
DirtDiggler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Everything carts sent me BRK-0112 - I Specifically asked them to double check the number when I ordered and they said they did. They did look different then the ones I took off but the lengths seemed identical.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Everything carts sent me BRK-0112 - I Specifically asked them to double check the number when I ordered and they said they did. They did look different then the ones I took off but the lengths seemed identical.
Just went to there site. You should have got BRK-004 , not BRK-0112. 79 thru 81 are differant brake shoes. IMHO, aftermarket brake linings don't grab as well as stock. Box them up,ship them back and get the right ones for your apllication.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
DirtDiggler
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thank you so much! this was bout to drive me crazy- I had just about decided it had to be the wrong ones. Are you suggesting it would be worth the diff to get the OEM shoes? If it make that big a difference I will. Thanks again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha