lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
golferjw1
Not Yet Wild

Default Golferjw1-G14-rebuild

Hello all,
I am back to the forum again, this time with a new project. A buddy of mine saw what I did with my electric EZ-GO and gave me his Yamaha Gasser (95) so someone could use it. Anyways, this thing was in real bad shape (been sitting up for 3 years) and I know absolutely nothing about engines, but I said I would give it a shot. I am a civil engineer and love little projects like this (and the beer I can drink while doing them), it gives me something to do while the wife is inside making lesson plans.

So I have taken the thing apart, bought a manual, and cleaned alot of it up. I finally got it to where the engine turns over when the pedal is depressed, but no spark. I tried running a jumper wire from the negative battery post to the plug, I hope this was the right way to test??

I bought a new ignition coil, but have not plugged it up yet (or screwed it on rather), because the wires that connect to it were missing when I began my rebuild. Looking at the exploded view in the manual, it appears as though it is directional. How do I determine which wires should connect where? My new one is slightly different than the stock, but I assume they work the same.

Also any ideas on where to start eliminating items for the no spark would be appreciated. The troubleshooting guide in the manual was written for people with a little more knowledge than me. I have a multimeter, and am not afraid to use it, but I don't have a clue what it is telling me. I am going to try and document the build for future reference, cause this site is the only reason I was able to get my sparky to where it is today (lifted, 48 volts, 500 amp Alltrax, limited slip rear end, camo painted, etc.) Thanks guys.

Hopefully this time on Sunday I will be posting a video of a running cart, instead of just one that you want to run away from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010045.jpg (133.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1010066.jpg (113.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1010047.jpg (135.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1010048.jpg (91.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P1010074.jpg (149.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by golferjw1; 10-08-2010 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: typo
golferjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
golferjw1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Golferjw1-G14-rebuild

Well here is how/what I have tested so far. I am stuck.

1) Checked battery volts - 12.6v

2) Checked body ground (read volts between battery positive and exhaust) - 12.5 volts

3) Buzzer works in Reverse

4) Accelerator switch - checked continuity while pedal is depressed to close circuit, and it passed. Also motor spins when pedal pressed

5) Main switch - continuity when on, also motor spins when pedal depressed

6) Checked fuse - 10 amp, good

7) Relay (solenoid) - good, clicks when given 12 volts and motor spins

Starter/generator - Jumped off A1 and F2 as per the manual and it worked - also spins when pedal depressed

9) Pick-up - unplugged from the harness and tested the white/brown and white/red wires which had .349 K ohms - passed

10) Ignitor coil- Primary coil (two tabs) tested 2.9 ohms - passed

11) Ignitor coil- Secondary coils- tested white wire and thicker black wire - 12.0 ohms - passed

12) Plug cap - 4.3 ohms

13) New spark plug

So I am STUCK. Only things I can think of is:
Does the voltage regulator have anything to do with it? Couldn't find a way to test it... so I am not thinking so

Is there a kill switch, like a low oil sensor or any other alarm that would allow the motor to spin but not fire?

Or lastly, and more than likely in my thinking, is the ignitor. I cannot find a test for it in the manual, basically it says if everything else passes, replace this.

As always, any help is appreciated.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
golferjw1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Golferjw1-G14-rebuild

Replaced the ignitor and still no spark. Any ideas from anyone? Anything I should look for?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha