lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
sanferd2112
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 smoking heavily

1980 g1 started smoking out of the blue, has always been run on roads, now it is being used in the fields by my kids, cart runs great but is leaving smoke trails. any advice greatly appreciated.
sanferd2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 smoking heavily

If it has not been run hard or was used for short trips, the muffler collects oil. You can run the snot out of it mostly WOT for about 20 min and it will smoke a lot then stop smoking, then take it easy so it can cool off. Or you can take the muffler out and put it in a bonfire to burn it out (muffler BBQ).

Unless your oil injection freaked out but I never heard of that, or someone put mix fuel in it with lots of oil.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
sanferd2112
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info,i am lighting a fire this afternoon.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Back when they are newer I worked at a course and when one started to smoke I was the guy (or kid maybe lol) that went out on the back nine at night and ran the snot out of it. Sometimes sparks come out, because it burns in the muffler. I would hold it on the floor and keep hitting the brakes to keep it slowed down, I put little vicegrips on the governor to disable it. Once the smoke goes away it usually turned blue, then I would take it easy and drive around so the muffler cooled off it was really hot. About 20min total, of course I was having fun. Some of them made a huge cloud that would cover the homes there, at the time it was hilarious....but was little else I could do. When people saw me they called the course and told them someone had a cart on fire. But 12mph with golfers likely builds more oil than any kind of personal use would. The muffler stays cold and keeps all the oil because its so big. Our yamaha dealer's mechanic told me to do this, I was the mechanic at the course. I think one problem today is some of them the muffler is really dried out and will not burn well, so BBQ works better with more heat....I'm not sure. Sometimes I wonder if it would work better to put some oil in the pipe so it burned, if it will not with above procedure.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
sanferd2112
Not Yet Wild

thanks i will let you know what happens
Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
jtizzle
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

My 1980 G1, which came from a golf course, did the same thing. I smoked like crazy all weekend, but it was the first time out on trails not on roads/cart paths. Once I actually though it was going to catch on fire it made the seat so hot and it was smoking so bad, then after being run all day like that it finally just stopped smoking and started running really smoothly. I figured i'd either worked something out or it was about to die. hasn't died yet and seems to be running better. Would you still try to BBQ it or leave it alone at this point?
jtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
sanferd2112
Not Yet Wild

bbq worked it out fine, no smoke and still runs great!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You have to run it constant without stopping to burn it out that way. If it smoked for a while and quit it should be ok I'd think.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha