lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Default Shock Question

Guys,

First off, I broke a shock at the base on my G8. My fault. I put to much pressure one time while installing and cracked it. Had it loaded with people the other day on the rear seat, and it finally broke competely and all the fluid came out...

So, trying to find a replacement shock appears to be an issue. Guy at the yamaha cart dealer said there is ONE shock for a G8 left in the entire country!

I was looking at other shocks IE: for the G14, 16, 19, 20. They have a "heavy duty" shock that measures 13 1/4", for a reasonable price. However, the guy at the yamaha dealer said you cannot move the heads, that they are welded in place. One is at a slight angle compared to the other end.....I guess the stock shock for those models are 12 3/4".

I asked if the G2 & G9 shocks would work, and he said no....Not sure why. Does anyone have a measurement of a G2/G9 shock?

The G8 shock is 12 1/2" from eye to eye. I actually could use a tad bit more length up to even 1".

Can anyone help me understand why I am having such a difficult time with this? Is anyone aware of a shock that would fit the G8?
stuff4mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Default Re: Shock Question

Wholly s__t! I figured I's look it up and find something for ya,
Here's what I found;
Yamaha Parts

Part Number: JF2-22210-01-00
Product Line: Golf Car
Description: SHK/ABS ASSY,REAR
Price: $ 176.01

This part is found in the following parts catalog diagram(s):
G8A Rear Arm - Suspension

Yamaha Parts -> JF2-22210-01-00

$176.01 for a shock

Your best bet is to try ebay for something close??
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Look at item# 170641976463 on ebay. Might be a good place to start??
Old 05-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Oh nice find! I did the same search and came up with nothi'n! I do like what you found, but wonder how high they'd go before winning the bid! I don't know anything about those 'air' shocks. Wonder how they'd hold up?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff4mason View Post
Oh nice find! I did the same search and came up with nothi'n! I do like what you found, but wonder how high they'd go before winning the bid! I don't know anything about those 'air' shocks. Wonder how they'd hold up?
My thought was to look for shocks (non-air) that fit the same vehicles as listed in the add. That way you could even look for used shocks for those models

"The brand new pair of air shock absorbers fit most 150cc 200cc 250cc 300cc 400cc 450cc Dirt Bike Gokart Moped Quad and ATV.
350mm (13.3/4") total length
320mm (12.5/8") eye to eye of clevis
Eye Diameter: 12mm and 10mm;
Eye thickness : 21.00mm
Spring thickness: 7mm
Spring Width: 60mm"
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Yea, I just did some research on those. Looks like the shocks drop their quads by 1" by installing them. The shocks themselves I guess are junk, from what the cycle forums are stating.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

G8's had a special rear shock because the lower mount is a "stud/bolt" welded to the axle tube, unlike other Yamaha's that had a welded bracket tower that a bolt would go thru the shock/bracket. Hope you didn't buy those shocks, very cheaply made and would the air canister fit in your situation? Hope you can work this out.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Take your shock dimensions(open/closed length,eye-size)and look on Monroe-shocks web-site.They have a catalog of shock dimensions that you find the dimensions and mountings you want and you have a part number that you can get from an auto-parts store.Most shocks are under $25 each.Also Gabriel has a similar offering.Others may too,I haven't looked.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I didnt realize it had a stud on one end. Thanks Dave

S4M, this is the Monroe spec sheet. Choose your mounts and length. I use it to get a number and call the parts store, they usually cross it to something else. last time was Gabriel like Pachanga said.

Good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf (442.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
stuff4mason
G8 Club Founding Member

Yamaha

Oh cool. Yea, its because of that stud - at an angle is why the last shock broke.

I knew there must be another choice out there. You guys think car shocks wouldn't be too stiff?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha