lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Testing Chargers

First, If at all possible, beg or borrow, but don't steal () a neighbor's/friend's cart whose batteries are known to be good and test the charger(s) on it.
The probability of have multiple bad chargers isn't very high, unless they failed at sometime in the past and were replaced because they weren't working.

As for replacing batteries with batteries from your stash, I disconnect the float charge and let them rest for 12 hours or so and measure the terminal voltages.
If they are good, the voltage will be about 6.37V.
I'd replace the two that had reading of 5.6V and 5.8V
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Stehle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Testing Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
First, If at all possible, beg or borrow, but don't steal () a neighbor's/friend's cart whose batteries are known to be good and test the charger(s) on it.
The probability of have multiple bad chargers isn't very high, unless they failed at sometime in the past and were replaced because they weren't working.
That second statement sir may have hit the nail on the proverbial head! Long story short... I have just gone down the line when one didn't charge I used another!

The Lester Auto that I spoke of originally was my latest edition that I had used for the last few years and was loose from my wall of shame, so I took it to the repair shop after I dropped it and it stopped working.

(Suffice to say, the big capacitor was gone and I observed him at all times as he cracked the case. A separate question here... How on earth with that missing, could it have even charged my cart for so long??? Granted it was used, did the job, albeit slow, but what did I know? I was only use to manuals with timers!!

He seemed like a very nice, affable & intelligent proprietor, metering it and re-plugging cables, etc., so I was too embarrassed at that point to tell him I had used it that way for the last 3 years!!! [I also gave him the carcass for his efforts] )

Anyway, I digress... As for your insightful first statement... the few carts I have seen on my road are gas. (...but I like the way you think!), a cart shop is fairly close, but after that last auto charger fiasco and being a bit shy on the green right now... (besides those puppy's are heavy!)... well lets just say I'm letting the dust settle there and in my wallet.

I will take your advice and replace the batteries you mentioned; resting first & measuring voltage after.

Oh! took the voltage coming from the Lester it was 25.5-25.6v (fluctuated a little), it that means anything or sheds any light on my dilemma. [Amperage needle did not move, but a very, very slight audible difference was detected by my one good ear.]

I'm removing all the chargers from the shelf/wall In the hopes of minimizing all this aggravation in the future.

I'll report back after a bit. & Thank you!
Stehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO