lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Poswego
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 DS Gas 3" or 6" lift

Want to install Jakes lift kit on new 2001 gas cart. Mainly used on street and lawn area. Will be driven by children mostly. Is there that much difference in the stability between the 3 & 6 lift sizes. Also, I was going to go with 12" wheels and 23" tires Mojave II). I want to avoid rubbing, so can I use any tire and wheel of that size or are they specific to the Club Car and year. Recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Poswego is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 DS Gas 3" or 6" lift

23" tires will not work with only 3" of lift. I'd go 6" or get smaller tires.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Poswego
Not Yet Wild

What do you think regarding the 3 versus 6 lift. I am not doing any offroading, just around the neighborhood. Any thoughts on the Mojave II tires?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

How old are the children?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

If you want the true look of a lifted cart than go with the 6 inch lift. If you just want to put some knobby tires on your cart to help it get around better than a 3 inch lift will be fine. As was mentioned above, a 3 inch lift won't accomadate 23 inch tires.

I don't know if you are looking a Jakes spindle lift or an A-arm lift but if you get the spindle lift you may have to get the wheelbase extension plate to run 23's. I'm not sure on that so hopefully somebody can chime in and help or you may want to do some research on that.

As for stability, a 6 inch lift can bit tippy if you are trying to do power slides with the brakes or driving like a wild man. If you keep the govenor stock to keep speeds down and the kids are old enough to know how to properly drive and control the cart I wouldn't worry to much about it. That's your decisision though as you know your kids.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
Poswego
Not Yet Wild

No offroading and my girls are pretty timid (at least now). Only thinking about 23s cause that is what one of the manufacturers recommended, most likely trying to sell 23s. Any recommendations on 22s with the Jakes 6 inch lift; and I have not heard anything about wheelbase extension plate. Will I need to specify the wheel offset or will it be standard for the type of wheel? I dont want to mess around with wheel spacers or have any rubbing issues as this was supposed to be an easy project for me. I am going to install the 3-leaf heavy duty springs in rear as it has a rear seat and stock leaf spring. Fun doing the upgrades, but pretty far down my list of honey-doos!

Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
gwunited2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Springbok answered many questions I had while I was installing the lift on my 2001 Gas CC. He has good info so listen up when he shoots you advice. I have three kiddos (12, 10 and 6). I went with the 6" jakes double a arm lift, 23x10.5x12 tires and have no regrets. My cart is running normal speeds and the kids do not have any issues driving it around. The only thing I have had to make sure they don't do is drive full speed while turning. If you have any questions about my install or issues I had, shoot me a pm and I will help you out as much as I can. Can't wait to see the pics of your build.
gwunited2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Buickguy
Getting Wild

Club Car

Nothing against lifts but I always liked the look of the original height with some 10 inch wheels and a street tire.
Its a nice ride and still handles well. It won't be paddling through mud or deep off-road trails but on asphalt, dirt or gravel roads, and nice grass it glides along well.

Personal choice thing.
Buickguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buickguy View Post
Nothing against lifts but I always liked the look of the original height with some 10 inch wheels and a street tire.
Its a nice ride and still handles well. It won't be paddling through mud or deep off-road trails but on asphalt, dirt or gravel roads, and nice grass it glides along well.

Personal choice thing.
My 89 is set-up this way , but my wife wants the 86 set-up for mud
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Nicky
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have one of both for about 10 years now. We go on some off camber trails and I never seem to have problem with stability with the lifted one but then again I'm a careful driver in those situations. My non-lifted cart has a lower center of gravity but if I wanted to tip it it wouldnt be all that hard to do in the right situation. One power slide or something like that wouldnt take much to turn it on it's side(been there done that). I personally would go for the lift and tires but My wife likes the lower more practical ride.

Nick
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car