lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
gamewiz724
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamewiz724 View Post
I ran the same set of tests and these were my results:
The battery was 37.49v same for the closer solenoid post, the far post was a couple volts less (can't remember the exact number). Next I tested the controller B+ to A1 and the multimeter would read a few volts then drop to zero and the cart would stop. After a short period of time everyone had got off a with the smallest person left to drive it, it got going at a very low speed (slower then walking speed) and after 100ft or so it stopped completely and we pushed the rest of the way (in tow of course). Ohh and there were no beep codes but I am 99.9% sure I set it to diagnostic mode before we left.
If you actually read my last post it sounds like from all the other info everyone gave me that it would be the controller that's bad, can anyone else weigh in after my last round of tests?
gamewiz724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #22
jetfan1950
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Ezgo stops and goes

I had a problem with dropouts on my 2001 pds. Mine would stop but run again after it stopped with a press of the accelerator. All my tests found nothing but eventually the cart beeped the welded solenoid code. I replaced it with a stock solenoid (less than $30 with shipping) and the issue was resolved. I waited too long to replace it. We could get the cart to continue to run even before it came to a full stop by releasing/pressing the accelerator. Thought I had outsmarted it. Not. Wound up melting one of my battery posts. Luckily the battery was not trashed. I escaped disaster. Yesterday I also received the thermal cutback code but we had over 800 lbs of adults on the cart and we were creeping slowly looking for crabs on the beach. I believe I've read a post from JohnnieB that the carts are designed for full throttle operation. Running them slowly generates more heat/stress. I checked the heat sink for tightness and it's OK. My cart has oversized tires as well so I think it was just over stressed yesterday. If I were in your situation, I would try replacing the solenoid. Cheap fix and it's OK to have a spare on hand anyway. Remember to take pictures before you start your work. Always throw the run/tow to tow before any maintenance.
jetfan1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo stops and goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfan1950 View Post
I had a problem with dropouts on my 2001 pds. Mine would stop but run again after it stopped with a press of the accelerator. All my tests found nothing but eventually the cart beeped the welded solenoid code. I replaced it with a stock solenoid (less than $30 with shipping) and the issue was resolved. I waited too long to replace it. We could get the cart to continue to run even before it came to a full stop by releasing/pressing the accelerator. Thought I had outsmarted it. Not. Wound up melting one of my battery posts. Luckily the battery was not trashed. I escaped disaster. Yesterday I also received the thermal cutback code but we had over 800 lbs of adults on the cart and we were creeping slowly looking for crabs on the beach. I believe I've read a post from JohnnieB that the carts are designed for full throttle operation. Running them slowly generates more heat/stress. I checked the heat sink for tightness and it's OK. My cart has oversized tires as well so I think it was just over stressed yesterday. If I were in your situation, I would try replacing the solenoid. Cheap fix and it's OK to have a spare on hand anyway. Remember to take pictures before you start your work. Always throw the run/tow to tow before any maintenance.
You resurrected a year old post.

Stock PDS carts are happier cruising than creeping.
Stock PDS carts are happier with stock height tires than taller tires.

Going slow heats up the controller and motor.
Tall tires increase heat rise in both motor and controller.
Driving at walking speeds or less can and often does put a stock PDS controller in thermal shutdown.
If the tires are taller than 18", it happens sooner.

Some people have had a stock PDS controller survive for years with tall tires, but most people soon have the stock PDS controller fail.

The stock PDS drive system was designed to be driven over groomed golf cart trails with two golfers and their clubs on-board running on 18" tires, but with the proper controller, solenoid, cables and motor, a sepex drive system works okay in off-road and hauling applications, and will tolerate turning taller tires.

If you are running oversized tires with a stock PDS controller, you are very likely to be running on borrowed time.

BTW: A stock solenoid is rated at 85A, so it is marginally acceptable even for golf course applications.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elecrical, ezgo, stops
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO