lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Wip
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 club car drive clutch question

I am working on a cart used a a scout camp. Really used... well when you start it the cart wants to move before the engine fires. You sometimes have to help by pushing to get it to start. This can't be good for the starter/generator. Is there a measurement for space at the top of the driven pulley? I wonder if the pulley is not opening up all the way. Or if that is not the problem maybe the distance between the drive and driven pulley is too far apart. Thanks for any info.
Wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 87 club car drive clutch question

1987 was a crossover year for drive clutches. There are two possible drive clutches you may have. Can you post a pic of it?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Wip
Not Yet Wild

Went and looked at it but it is in storage right. I noticed the drive clutch was pulled in all the way( like for max engine speed) . Gave it few whacks and it opened up. What would cause that? Looking randomly at posts I came across an old one of yours. My drive clutch looks to be a Salisbury clutch like the last picture in this post gas-club-car/70103-drive-clutch-question-2.html

Last edited by Wip; 10-07-2013 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: more info
Wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

So the sheaves on the drive clutch were stuck close together and the belt was riding high? Yeah that would make it want to start moving as soon as the starter motor begins turning. The last time it was driven it must have gotten stuck in the open position. I would try giving it a good soaking with PB Blaster to try and lube up the insides. Spray it into the holes around the center bolt.

I'm not a big fan of those older drive clutches, it's said that they're not really reliable and the newer style ('88-'96) is a way better design. The newer drive clutches have a roller bearing down between the sheaves that allows the belt to idle before the sheaves pinch it together. But if you want to upgrade, don't go out and buy one just yet, unless you want to also upgrade the driven clutch at the same time. If you don't also upgrade the driven clutch, your drive belt won't line up.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car