lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
billyrb
Not Yet Wild

Default engine starts, runs rough, stumbles, dies and won' t start

Just bought this 96 CC and have driven about 400'. It fired up when i bought it, enough to get it off the trailer. Went to drive, and it was moving at about 3-4 mph with it floored, all the while struggling. Turned around and parked it (400' total), then it wouldnt start back up. Let it sit for 2 days, sprayed some starting fluid and it fired right up. Sprayed in a little carb cleaner while it was running, seemed ok, went to leave the driveway and the same thing happened. Got back into the drive, shut it off and won't restart.

Has new plugs, gas, fuel filters and fuel hoses. Any ideas?
billyrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
dragos28
Gone Wild

Default Re: engine starts, runs rough, stumbles, dies and won' t start

dirty carburetor perhaps... maybe you should remove it and give it a thorough cleaning.
dragos28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 AM   #3
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

When it wouldnt restart! Did you try using the starting fluid again? Did you check to see if you lost spark? Try disconnecting the rev limiter and see what happens. You'll have to search bgw to see how to do it.
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
rib33024

If you spray to much carb cleaner in that engine you will be rebuilding it, it's NOT good for the engine, as said sounds like you need to clean the carb, remove the carb and take it all apart and clean it good

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyrb View Post
Just bought this 96 CC and have driven about 400'. It fired up when i bought it, enough to get it off the trailer. Went to drive, and it was moving at about 3-4 mph with it floored, all the while struggling. Turned around and parked it (400' total), then it wouldnt start back up. Let it sit for 2 days, sprayed some starting fluid and it fired right up. Sprayed in a little carb cleaner while it was running, seemed ok, went to leave the driveway and the same thing happened. Got back into the drive, shut it off and won't restart.

Has new plugs, gas, fuel filters and fuel hoses. Any ideas?
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
billyrb
Not Yet Wild

as an update, here is what I've done so far:

1. verified that the rev limiter was already bypassed (no change)
2. removed, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the carb (no change)
3. removed, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the fuel pump (no change)
4. verified all fuel hoses and fuel filters were new, 1/4" size and were clear (no change)
5. removed, inspected and cleaned spark plug (no change)
6. replaced spark plug (no change)
7. replaced coil (no change)
8. replaced coil again (no change)
9. bought new ignitor, and here is where it gets more weird: I removed the rev limiter, and I couldn't see the ignitor. I then removed the engine front cover plate, as I saw the ignitor wire going under it. Once I got the cover off, I found that the ignitor wire went directly to the coil, but no ignitor to be found. I traced the ignitor wire and it went back around the passenger side of the engine, and then back into the loom behind the engine....but still no ignitor. I'm confused. This is a 1996 gas club car with the FE290 Kawasaki engine....thought they all had the ignitor there?

So, here is what I did: I installed the new ignitor onto the back of the rev limiter mounting plate, and used an alligator clip to connect the male end of the ignitor wire to the male end of the wire coming from the coil. I tried to start the cart in reverse and it wouldn't even turn over. I put it into forward, same thing, wouldn't even turn over. I put it in neutral and it cranks. I go to put it into gear, and it won't allow me to go into forward or reverse. And here's the next odd thing, it keeps running with my foot off the gas, and it stays running after I turn off the key now. The only way I could get it to turn off was to hold the choke in until it died.

Upon doing this, I had a thought. I put it into neutral again, start it, and use the choke to try and kill it; when it is just about at its last gasp of air, I put the cart into forward and let off the choke and it keeps running and goes into gear. I drive it up the driveway and with my foot the floor, it was doing maybe 2-3mph. Note that this is exactly what it was doing when I first bought it, before I had done anything to the cart. I get it back into the garage, and I disconnect the alligator clip, and I plug the wire from the coil back into the wire that disappears into the harness. Now it will crank in all positions, but will not fire / start.

So, here are my questions:

1. why doesn't this cart have an ignitor where all other FE290 1996 & earlier CC carts have one?
2. why does it run when I connect the coil wire to the new ignitor, but not when connected into the harness?
3. why, when connected to the new ignitor, does it drive but only at a max of 2-3mph?
4. where does that wire go to in the harness (white with a black trace)?
5. on top of the forward / reverse / neutral selector inside the engine compartment, there are several micro-switches; the top one has two spades, and the upper one has an orange wire that is disconnected; what is that orange wire for, and does it need to be connected again?
6. even though the ground wire on the rev limiter is not connected to anything, could the rev limiter itself be causing all these problems?
7. i've heard of a kill circuit, where is this and could it be part of the problem?

I'm at my wits end with this, and am tired of trying to figure out what it wrong on my own. I could definitely use some help, and am considering taking it to a shop to figure out what's wrong.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
billyrb
Not Yet Wild

ended up taking this to a shop and dropped some coin. After a month I get it back, barely running. Take it for 2 drives down the street (about 300 yards each time), after that, dies and won't start again, getting no spark yet again. he refunded almost all of the $$ and said they weren't good on club cars and they would only lose more $$ (which I have to respect).

Since the coil, micro-switches, ignitor, rpm limiter and solenoid / parts were all replaced, and now its dead again, would it be safe to assume that the wiring harness may have a or multiple shorts that would cause the parts to go bad? There is also a winch on the front, and it doesn't work at all from the controls.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car