lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
Hole-in-one
Not Yet Wild

Default Curtis controller EZGO PDS 36v welded solenoid

I am hoping to learn the finer details of how the controller determins welded solenoid contacts, in particular on the EZGO 36v PDS golf car?

I understand the essential principle that if a voltage drop of between 1 and 5 volts on the B+ terminal (w.r.t. B-) does not occur after the contacts are supposed to have opened, this forces limp mode and the 'welded contacts' diagnostic.

I'm particularly interested in the timing aspects of this problem, with such questions as:
  • How long after the solenoid is powered off does the controller wait before registering 'welded contacts'? (For example if the B+ voltage does not drop immediately after coming to a halt?)
  • If the B+ volt drops to zero before the solenoid is powered on (e.g. while golf car stationary), what is the time delay before the controller registers the 'welded contacts' condition?
  • How much variation in the value of the 250 resistor across the solenoid contacts can be tolerated before the controller registers 'welded contacts' incorrectly? (i.e. when the contacts are still open)
Hole-in-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Curtis controller EZGO PDS 36v welded solenoid

The "Solenoid Welded" error occurs when the controller energizes the solenoid coil and the voltage on the controller's B+ terminal is not equal to, or in close proximity of, the voltage on the controller's J1 Pin-5. The error also occurs when the solenoid coil is de-energized and the voltage on the B+ terminal is not significantly less than the voltage on J1 Pin-5.

I'm not sure of the timing, but I'm pretty sure it is a simple comparison of the voltage at the two points vs the solenoid coil being on or off.

The flaw in the logic is that it assumes the voltage on J1 Pin-5 is full battery pack voltage, so a false error can be generated if there is excessive resistance between J1 Pin-5 and the solenoid's battery side large terminal where the red wire from Pin-5 is connected.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curtis pds weld solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO