lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
trains
Not Yet Wild

Default New #2 cables

I am new to working on golf carts. I have a 2011 48v TXT, I just put a new set of #2 cables on the batteries, to the solenoid and to the controller. Everything else is still stock. The cart seems to have more torque but when I go to full throttle the cart gets to about half speed or so and then cuts off and back on, just as if the key was turned off and then back on. Are the larger cables allowing to much amperage to the stock controller and causing it to shut down?
trains is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
sbarnes
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New #2 cables

check all connections first, make sure they are all tight.
sbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
trains
Not Yet Wild

Verified all connections are tight.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

you said you replaced the cables on the batteries, to the solenoid, and to the controller.....what about the cables that go to the motor ??? you need to replace ALL of the high current cables otherwise there will be a "bottle neck".
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
trains
Not Yet Wild

Did not replace the cables to the motor. Can you explain what you think is happening in this scenario?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Did you flip the Run/Tow switch to Tow while changing the cables?
If not, the TCT controller may have been damaged.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
sbarnes
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke caught what I was going to say about ALL cables need to be changed. You can search some old posts on cables on here to get some in depth info, but basically what you have is like this" all the cars on a six lane freeway, are all trying to get off on a single lane off ramp". the current is being bottle necked in the wiring, which will cause heat and connectivity issues.
sbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
trains
Not Yet Wild

Hmmm, did not flip the controler switch to tow, sure hope I didnt damage the controler. I will try changing the cables to the motor and see if that corrects the issue. If not then i may be in the market for a new controler. Any suggestions on a controler, looking for torque not speed, only have 20" tires.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trains View Post
Hmmm, did not flip the controler switch to tow, sure hope I didnt damage the controler. I will try changing the cables to the motor and see if that corrects the issue. If not then i may be in the market for a new controler. Any suggestions on a controler, looking for torque not speed, only have 20" tires.
Ouch.

You might have dislodged a plug while changing cables, so flip the Run/Tow to Tow and try re-seating them.

Can you describe the symptoms better?
Does the cart reach a certain speed and stop accelerating, or does it get to some speed, hesitate and then continue to accelerate.

The controller does limit motor RPM based on the mode it is in, so with better cables it may reaching max RPM quicker and backing off on the throttle (internally) more suddenly.

I'm not 100% sure what controller you have. Is it what is shown in the attached manuals?

-------------
An Altrax DCX400 (or larger) controller would do wonders for your cart. It would up both torque and speed. (It's a 400A controller while the stock TCT controller is only 250A and doesn't use the motor speed sensor, so it doesn't limit motor RPM)

Only problem is that I don't know if Alltrax has an adapter for it. Give them a call and ask. http://www.alltraxinc.com/contactus.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
trains
Not Yet Wild

The cart when you push the accelerator full throttle the cart accerates to a certain point then its an abrupt cut in power for a split second then full power back on again and continues to accelerate, just as if something happen to kill all the voltage to the motor. If you accelerator gradually it does not cut out and it will run full throttle. This only happens under hard acceleration. I may put the old cables back on and see if the problem goes away, this should prove if I have damage the controler or not, since i did not flip the tow switch when changing the cables. Should prove if its the cables or another issue. I appreciate your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO