lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

Default Re: Western/EZGO? which chassis etc.

google shunt motor and you will get a long description, kirk
kirkroediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2010, 03:56 AM   #12
mauistardog
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

From the last two pics, I guess I was wrong on the the solenoid from your first pics. Anyway, the solenoid that has two big wires attached to the two big posts is your main solenoid, if you want to call it that. you show this in the second pic from your last post. The other solenoid...hell I don't really know I will let the smart electrical guys speak up on whether you really need it. I think it is a really cool cart and would love more pics when you have time. But to answer your original question, you got a frankiencart. A resistor cart converted to a controller cart. The extra solenoid..the one with 4 smaller wires going to it, may not be needed or even work since it was converted.

aloha
joe
mauistardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Thanks joe, frankencart! heh that's great. I think all the mods were done by the Western cart company. I have lots of pics of the cart (of course), let me know what you want to see and I will post them,
Down river Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #14
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down river Dave View Post
What is a shunt motor?
It's not really a shunt motor but a motor shunt. It bypasses the control system and applies direct battery power to the motor for what they called "overdrive". You have a series motor in your cart.
Western did this for a few years but had motor problems and discontinued the practice.
Yours looks like an old model 200 and it was built on the EZGO Marathon frame with all EZGO parts. Western bought the carts from EZGO and replaced the bodies with their own custom fiberglass bodies. The serial number is stamped into the frame rail on the passenger side wheel arch. It should be about 10 or 11 numbers. If you post that I can probably tell what you have.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

thanks doug for the shunt info, the cart is a 300 model built in sept of 1974. the 1st 3 are model# second 2 are month and third 2 are year built. western purchased ezgo chassis and installed their own bodies, they are no longer in business. if you need info you can usually get it from george in service at electric car co. in rancho mirage, ca. as they had interest in western and george worked there for yrs.kirk
Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Thanks Kirk, I must have missed the serial number in the posts.
I know George at Electric Car Dist, good guy and knowledgeable.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #17
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkroediger View Post
thanks doug for the shunt info, the cart is a 300 model built in sept of 1974. the 1st 3 are model# second 2 are month and third 2 are year built. western purchased ezgo chassis and installed their own bodies, they are no longer in business. if you need info you can usually get it from george in service at electric car co. in rancho mirage, ca. as they had interest in western and george worked there for yrs.kirk
I think I read it as Sept 87, that matches other serial number break downs I have read here and what is on the title which is an 88 model registered in late 87. I don't believe western was in business in the 70's
Down river Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #18
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

you are most likely right, this is what i was told by electric car co. some time ago, I checked the # on mine and it didnt come out right either.I will check with them again, kirk
Old 03-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

here are pics of my westerns, kirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02346.jpg (133.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #20
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I really like the front car (Sebring) with the air conditioning. Comes in handy in the desert.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO