lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Western/EZGO? which chassis etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkroediger View Post
here are pics of my westerns, kirk
Wow, very nice!
Down river Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #22
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Western/EZGO? which chassis etc.

Hey guys, I never did get an answer about whether 12.1 mph was normal. I think my pack is starting to equalize out, got my first full charge and got 13 mph on the gravel road. As soon as I have time I am going to investigate the overdrive and try and get it functioning. Getting our house ready for one of the grandchildren to live with us for awhile :) I was also thinking it might be faster on pavement and my back tires are worn out enough so there might be a diameter change. Any thoughts?

Wow! just looked out the window to see a dear run into the neighbors chainlink fence! she hit very hard but got up and ran off.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #23
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

dave, I think your speed is about right for what you have. your cart was orig a resistor modified to electronic so you will not have a overdrive [shunt] any longer. look at your controller and let us know the voltage & amperage. kirk
kirkroediger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #24
Down river Dave
Not Yet Wild

Kirk, it has a Curtis 275 amp controller, the overdrive system is still hooked up. I believe that the overdrive and the controller conversion was done by Western when they redid the cart. Heh, I don't really need to go any faster, I just want too! :)
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #25
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

you would probably gain a little speed if you installed another battery for 42 volts if you could find a 42 volt charger for reasonable $. I think your electronics would handle 42volts. kirk
Old 04-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #26
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkroediger View Post
dave, I think your speed is about right for what you have. your cart was orig a resistor modified to electronic so you will not have a overdrive [shunt] any longer. look at your controller and let us know the voltage & amperage. kirk
Why do you say this? Correct me but isn't this just a field coil shunt and will go directly to the field connections on the motor and is activated via the additional contactor and switch. I don't see where the controller, resistor or otherwise, comes in to play since the OD is directly connected bypassing any motor control device. Just curious.

Anyway, field coil shunts are bad mojo for electric motors. DO NOT EVER engage one at stop. Probably get you an instantly shorted motor. And they ain't good at full throttle either. Uncontrolled amps and the subsequent rpm's can kill a motor pretty quickly. I think that's why Western only did it for 6 months or so. My guess is Western was replacing motors under warranty and it got expensive quick.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #27
kirkroediger
Getting Wild

I was told by western a few yrs ago that shunts would not work on controller carts. I do not have any knowledge on shunts other then what i have been told. I have seen many of the old resistor westerns with the shunt but never a controller cart. kirk
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
Hoglaw
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Why do you say this? Correct me but isn't this just a field coil shunt and will go directly to the field connections on the motor and is activated via the additional contactor and switch. I don't see where the controller, resistor or otherwise, comes in to play since the OD is directly connected bypassing any motor control device. Just curious.

Anyway, field coil shunts are bad mojo for electric motors. DO NOT EVER engage one at stop. Probably get you an instantly shorted motor. And they ain't good at full throttle either. Uncontrolled amps and the subsequent rpm's can kill a motor pretty quickly. I think that's why Western only did it for 6 months or so. My guess is Western was replacing motors under warranty and it got expensive quick.
So if i have an 86 western with the overdrive still hooked up and the solenoid that engages that seemingly 'welded' how do i go about removing the overdrive from my wiring system alltogether?

thank you in advance.
Hoglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #29
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglaw View Post
So if i have an 86 western with the overdrive still hooked up and the solenoid that engages that seemingly 'welded' how do i go about removing the overdrive from my wiring system alltogether?

thank you in advance.
remove the wires from the shunt solenoid to the motor.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #30
Hoglaw
Not Yet Wild

done, but only after i put two new solenoids on it. I guess i'll have an extra this way.

thank you.
Hoglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO