lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
HuntinBuggie
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery melt

SM I had the exact same thing happen to me, and I upgraded the wires to 4ga, and have not had any problems since. Mine happened when I went down hill around a corner... It melted and got so hot that the stud melted into the plastic on the top of the battery..... Tell her that you need to upgrade this for it to be safe for her/kids to drive... That seemed to work with my wife!!!
HuntinBuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
sm-outlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinBuggie View Post
SM I had the exact same thing happen to me, and I upgraded the wires to 4ga, and have not had any problems since. Mine happened when I went down hill around a corner... It melted and got so hot that the stud melted into the plastic on the top of the battery..... Tell her that you need to upgrade this for it to be safe for her/kids to drive... That seemed to work with my wife!!!
No Kids... and my wife is kind of a dare-devil so "Safety" isnt a word she responds to often. I'm thinking this is just one of those "better to ask forgiveness than permission" situations. I think I'm going to heed Scottys advice and do the upgrades in stages starting with all new cables.
sm-outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Remember, you still need to check them at least once a month. Thats just part of routine maintenance.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
sm-outlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
Remember, you still need to check them at least once a month. Thats just part of routine maintenance.
I dont see why... the way I figure it, the cart's 15 years old w/ original/stock cables and just now had an issue. So, once I replace them I shouldn't have to check them for at least another 15 years. Or 20 yrs if I go to 4g, because they're 33% better than 6g.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
roady89
nimda
Club Car

ooook.....whatever you say man.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #16
EZGO-MY-WALLET2
Gone Wild

I replaced all my batteries with new, made new cables, and did everything by the "BGW BOOK". I checked my water levels and "nutz" :) for 4 months in a row with out having any change. This was the first month(Aug) I saw some cells getting low on water and was able to make half a crank on almost all of my nutz.

These guys have been around carts long enough to know what time it is ! If you don't listen and want to cost yourself money thats up to you, but they steer you right...you just have to follow directions to keep rolling...
EZGO-MY-WALLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #17
sm-outlaw
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So much for my "drive it like you stole it" philosophy.

Already set a reminder on my outlook calendar. From now on the 19th of each month is battery check day.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

These guys have been around carts long enough to know what time it is ! LMAO
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #19
Aussie
Not Yet Wild

Not relevant to you now, but i had a bloke in here the other day who melted the post off a new truck battery. He slid the terminals on loosely, then fired it up.
If youve only got a small contact area for the current to pass through, it will melt the post, then proceed to arc and melt wherever else the post and terminal come to contact when moving around. Keep 'em tight.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
EZGO-MY-WALLET2
Gone Wild

we all know YOU know what time it is scottyb !
EZGO-MY-WALLET2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO